Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

100 presses a day

hannahandstand

hannahandstand

What would happen if you would do 100 press handstands a day (if you can press that often already?)

Along with some basic acro and flexibility work?

On parallettes: 50 L Sit Pike Presses and 50 Straddle L Straddle Presses?

Would it make/keep you strong in pressing? 

Mouclier Victor

it would be fun, but You probably won't be able to recover properly and, i think you will regress at some point :wacko:

Edited by Bosco

Radoslav Detchev

At some point, it is likely that the "correct" muscles needed for the press would get tired. After that, you would start to rely on other muscles to complete the movement.

In this case, you are now creating a new muscle recruitment pattern for your press that uses the wrong muscles.

To get the most bang for your buck, you need to be using the right muscles at all times and be building a good recruitment pattern. 

Otherwise you're just facilitating a poor recruitment pattern and training the wrong muscles to work together

Why don't you start with trying to perform one per day perfectly and then take it from there? ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 9

hannahandstand

Why don't you start with trying to perform one per day perfectly and then take it from there? ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank You for all your replies! Well I actually can do pretty good presses, I have been an acro top for years and then a base but recently quit. Now I am mostly handbalancing, but throw some acro in when I want to. 

I go to open gym everyday for 2 hours and I am desperately trying to find a handbalancing routine where I can keep my current strength level!

At the moment, I can do

- 7- 10 straddle press handstands in a row

-Russian Lever Pike Handstand return to Russian Lever

- 5 seconds V-Sit with legs horizontal or a little past

- a 5 secs Planche with legs straddled and in a split position both at about 45 degrees

Our coach always said - you need to do something 10times a day in order to keep your strength!

and that is why I thought I would just do all the things I mentioned 10 times a day which would make:

- 70-100 straddle press handstands

- 10 Russian Lever Pike Handstands

- 10 V-Sits

- 10 Straddle Planches

- 10 Split Planches

some free standing handstand work at the beginning and at the end. Is pretty much exactly 2 hrs! At home I stretch for another 30-60minutes!

What would you say?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I think the advice from your coach isn't meant to be taken literally in all cases. Take the example of a runner specializing in 10Ks. Your interpretation says they should be running 100Km every day, which is pretty unfeasible and not a good way to get better at running a 10K.

I feel the intended meaning of your coach's words was something more like "If you want to be good at something do it often." At the moment you say you can do 7-10 presses. How do you maintain that strength? By doing 70-100 presses every day? Probably not. If you did I don't think you'd be asking about it.

Most people here would recommend you build your handbalancing routine around the GB Handstand programs. If you haven't gone through them yet, they all include seriously detailed progressions that will fix problems you didn't even know you had. If you have the money, I suggest you look there.

• Upvote 1

hannahandstand

Thank You! Yes, but the 10 presses are standing presses, not sitting. Sitting I can do 2-3 with straight arms, then I have to bend them.

The comparison with the running is great and I really understand it. I just don't know how to train for getting closer to 10 presses in a row from a sit.

Should I just do as many in half an hour as possible? Every day? Every other day? Should I do Pike Presses as well?

I don't know who can help me with that...

Coach Sommer can help you with that! and so can the rest of the community. But I really think all senior members would say: 

-show mastery of most of H1 (e.g. 60 second freestanding handstand)

-show us your press and your pancake/pike flexibility

-get H2

-work through that

See, just because you can do presses, doesn't mean you should be doing those, or just those, in your training. If you fix deficiencies using previous progressions in the Handstand program, you can achieve what you want. At the end of H2, 5x5 Straddle presses (stalder, from a straddle l) should be easy, and 10 will be also possible if you do 1-2 sets. 

Hope this helps, waiting for senior members to comment.

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin Herring

I've heard "Ten a day, no more than 5 in a set."  Please remember that is a bit out of context.  Ok, more than a bit.

But 5 sets of 2, 3 sets of 3, 2 sets of five all meet that requirment.

But I'm assuming this is more in line with what your coach was refering too rather than 10 sets of infinity reps.

Rather than doing as many as possible per day seek to find the fewest necessary to find the strength you seek or maintain the strength you found. 

At some point more reps are just more reps and inhibits your recovery and skills in other areas.

Keeping you strong in a movement takes less effort than getting strong in a movement.