Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multi Plane Pressing Problem

Jeremy Frias

After reading Building the Gymnastics Body, I want to incorporate (or rather, build most of my routine around) the exercises presented in the book. I can think of a few multi plane pulling exercises I could do and put into my routine, but I have a problem when it come to multi plane pressing exercises.

I simply can't do any of the ones specified in the book. I would work to develop at least chest rolls, but I don't have an area suitable to training that movement (eg. gymnastics floor, or other soft ground, and grass is not too viable either). Is there anything else I could do for multi plane pressing? I was thinking of simply walking down from a wall handstand into a wall push up position, and then walking back up into handstand for one rep (sorry, I'm sure that exercise has a specific name that I don't know). Or is there anything better I could do to build that dynamic pressing strength?

Keep in mind that I am a beginner, so what I am able to do is somewhat limited...

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, they are a bit advanced for me... I was just wondering if there was something easier I could do to at least get some training of that type, since the multi plane pulling exercises are well within my abilities. I just didn't want to include one without the other.

I do one pressing and one pulling exercise each day along with static holds 4x week

monday- horizontal

tuesday- dip/invert curl

thursday- handstand work/pullups

friday- multi-plane pulling/ multi-plane pressing

I do tuck front lever pulls for my pulling exercise on fridays but don't have the coordination or strength for the pressing exercises in the book yet. So I just go with hindu or divebomber pushups(whichever ones you do the motion up and down instead of just down and then resetting normally) I figure it will be good for flexibility and is decent just to get a bit of work in. The volume of all the static holds + everything else is enough where I don't feel bad about not doing a taxing strength pressing exercise on friday.

I do one pressing and one pulling exercise each day along with static holds 4x week

monday- horizontal

tuesday- dip/invert curl

thursday- handstand work/pullups

friday- multi-plane pulling/ multi-plane pressing

I do tuck front lever pulls for my pulling exercise on fridays but don't have the coordination or strength for the pressing exercises in the book yet. So I just go with hindu or divebomber pushups(whichever ones you do the motion up and down instead of just down and then resetting normally) I figure it will be good for flexibility and is decent just to get a bit of work in. The volume of all the static holds + everything else is enough where I don't feel bad about not doing a taxing strength pressing exercise on friday.

Yes! Something like this was exactly what I had in mind for a routine. It seems we are in a similar situation when it comes to the multi plane press situation. Hindu does sound like a decent substitute, it'll at least prepare me for a different type of motion. I'll see what else I can come up with.

Thank you for your input!

I have the same problem. The easiest chest roll version is too hard for me.

On MPPr-days I do press shoulder stands on rings with feet on straps

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=723

The negative should be a MPPr movement since you come down from inverted (although with bent arms) and lower through tuck planche (bent arms in my case, too) then through the dip motion back to support.

Another option might be lowering from HS: Do a handstand in a doorway if you can't do a freestanding HS. Now instead of lowering your head and touching the ground between your hands (like on page 77 - HeSPU negative) you would do a diving motion like a chest roll - HeSPU - negative (page 84) of course with an open door!

Richard Duelley

I have the same problem. No matter what I try I just cant get the chest roll series of movements. But just yesterday I got my elbow lever to headstand, straight body no arch (I am working on not having to rest on my elbows so I can actually do Bower progressions). Now I am going to add in a HeSPU after the press to headstand in the hopes of one day doing an elbow lever to handstand! The HS to tuck planche as described my Blairbob is great and is also surprisingly difficult so you could give it a try.

One thing that got me started was: Do a headstand and lower with a straight body to a two arm elbow lever.

But I stand with Braindx, stick with the basic statics and dynamics that you are capable of performing safely and leave the multiplane stuff for later development.

-Ricky

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll definitely keep these exercises in mind!

But it seems I will have to wait till I'm a bit stronger. I need to keep training my handstand so I can make it stable enough to do some of these moves. Also, I have very little planche strength, so a lot of these negatives from inverted positions are more like falls in my case. :P

I'll just have to keep working hard at the basics. :)