Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My little girl is desperate for some help with her straddle up press handstand please!

AstraZoey

Mouclier Victor

youtube tutorials...

you relize that all of those drills are a waste of time when you understand that a " press handstand is just the evolution of a strong handstand".

if she's able to hold her handstand for 60 sec as well as touching her nose/chin to the floor in a pancake stretch, she would be able to do a straddle press.

strengtening her handstand + becoming more flexible is all she need to work.

Francesco Pudda

Well holding the handstand is not a sign of beign able to do a straddle press which also requires a great amount of straight arms strength (otherwise why would handstand 2 have been made? :D)

Anyway, if she already has a proficient handstand and a very good pancake, eccentric will help her. Performing a slow discent with the correct form will help her gain strength for the ascent. Negatives (ecentrics) are often used when you have to train for a kind of movement you still cannot do (pullups, dips, hspu, ecc)

Edited by Francesco Pudda
  • Upvote 1

Julian Aldag

Video?

(For whatever reason, when I wrote this, the post above wasn't shown. I dont want to sound rude!)

Edited by jules
  • Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Sorry, but completely wrong execution.  

She is trying to arch her back and pull her butt up, rather than protracting and curling her back up one vertebrae at a time to the handstand.

Lots to correct here.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Thank you - it's good to know what is going on. Can you recommend anything which will help her adjust it?

Sorry, but completely wrong execution.  

She is trying to arch her back and pull her butt up, rather than protracting and curling her back up one vertebrae at a time to the handstand.

Lots to correct here.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Julian Aldag

Her coach has set a competition to see who can get it first, which has made her even more obsessed!

If anyone has ANY suggestions or advice, please help, my daughter would appreciate it so much.

Why isn't her coach teaching the press properly?

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer

Thank you - it's good to know what is going on. Can you recommend anything which will help her adjust it?

I prefer for press handstands to be thoroughly and properly developed. To that end my best recommendation for press handstand development is the GB Handstand Two course.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer