Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastic Gyms

Alex Dacres

Hi so I've been playing about with GST on and off since BtGB was first released and after much frustration and constant plateaus I have finally decided to commit to following the GB curriculum.

Looking over the courses it has become apparent to me that, while in the beginning I can make substitutions for most of the equipment required, as I progress there are some things it will be difficult to train without eg stall bars. Also I currently train at home, mainly in the garden, and winter is coming. With this in mind I am searching for a local gym with all the necessary equipment.

I am based in Watford in the UK so if anyone knows of a suitable place to train please let me know.

If I can't find an existing gym with the equipment I will start asking around to see if anywhere would be willing to install the equipment.

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else but I couldn't find anything and thought it might be a good idea to have a thread on places to train.

Hey Alexander,

I'm sure you can already tell that what we do is not the norm by a huge margin. Without meaning to sound like a pessimist, most gyms are not interested and won't really understand where your coming from with the equipment requests. You may have more success if you find some sort of garage gym/industrial unit set up run by an individual into their 'functional training'.

Do you have any friends who are into GST bodyweight also? You really don't need much to start, a space is all. That's what I did.

We are based over in Stroud, Gloucestershire so if you ever up for some proper GST training as per Gymnastic Bodies then your more than welcome to come join us :-) 

Thanks for your input. I am aware that most gyms don't cater to GST, although GST seems to be getting more popular so perhaps in a few years time that will change.

For now I have sent an email to all the gyms and gymnastics centres in my area explaining my situation so I just have to wait and see what response I get.

I will venture to Stroud at some point in the near future. Until then I will see what I can come up with

Kate Abernethy

Going by my experience you are unlikely to get a response! Best to check (via websites) whether they have Adult gymnastic sessions and just turn up.

So out of roughly 20 places that I emailed I've got 3 responses so far.

On the plus side after a search on the internet I have found a few places that do adult gymnastics drop in sessions and i could achieve my desired mon, tues, thurs, fri training schedule by attending multiple sessions at different gymnastics facilities. The downside is that the sessions are £8-10 each so achieving the above training days would cost at least £36 per week ( £144 per month) which is a bit more than I was hoping to spend (conventional gym memberships in my area usually £10-£50 per month depending on the gym you choose).

I will continue to look for a more affordable option but at the moment it looks like il either have to find a bit of extra cash or build a few extra bits of DIY equipment for my garden and endure the winter weather.

Gavin Strelitz

I think it's worth contacting any crossfit gyms as they generally have the equipment you are looking for. Then try and negotiate a decent monthly rate with them.

• 1 year later...
Jonathan Davis

Great to find this topic. Thanks to Alex Dacres for kicking it off just over a year ago.

I've just started Fundamentals.  It will be much more motivational to train with other folk using GST.  Have there been any developments about a place/ gym to use in the Watfrod area regularly? 

Edited by Jonathan Davis