Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice on tumbling classes

Redwan Haque

So I was thinking of finally attending some adult gymnastics classes and doing some 'proper' gymnastics as opposed to just the strength aspect of it. Looking to mainly learn how to tumble to begin with.

The classes are only once a week, and I figured I'd schedule my low volume leg day on the same day, where I work up to a single set of a 5 rep max on the back squat then spend the rest of the session on oblique and lower body flexibility.

The idea is to be warmed up both strength and flexibility wise by the time class rolls around but at the same time not fatigued. This sounds alright in my head but I just wanted to ask and make sure I wasn't setting myself up for injury by training both maximal strength and flexibility earlier in the day...

I'm no gymnast but my flexibility is decent and improving.  Better than the average gym goer anyway :P

Cheers guys

A gymnastics/tumbling class will usually have a warmup-up at the beginning, so I wouldn't schedule your other workouts around being warmed up for class. Low-volume leg work and some light stretching just before tumbling should be fine, though. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Joshua, thanks for the reply.

The class would be a good 6 hours after the leg workout finished; so I'm not doing it for the purpose of warming up. It's just that I have to schedule it so that it falls on one of my 6 workout days so as to keep 1 day completely off. As tumbling is leg intensive, I figured putting it on one of my two leg days would ensure I got sufficient time off for them throughout the rest of the week. I feel I'd be way too tired after my higher volume leg day, so I was left with the low volume, higher intensity day.

I stretch for quite a while after the sessions though as I don't have much other time during the week to focus on lower body flexibility. Would the fatigue from say, lots of supported isometric split holds be enough to put me at risk of injury during the tumbling session?

I know I said 'warmed up' in the original post but I guess I just mean more warm and 'active' than I'd otherwise be.