Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Achievements and thank you after one year of GB training

Luzian Scherrer

Geoffrey Wielingen

I really cannot comment on whether your diet is any good or not, apart from the fact that most of it sounds very tasty! :) Do you prepare the lunch and dinner meals in bulk or do you cook every day?

Luzian Scherrer

I prepare the lunch for the whole week on sundays and fridge/freeze it.

The dinner is cooked each day as while having the salmon and sweet potatoes into the microwave for five minutes I can prepare the other stuff; it doesn't take me more than 7 minutes for the whole dinner.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I can't believe I missed this post!

Great results....you've achieved SLS in a year??!  :oO  Your flexibility has also progressed by leaps and bounds.  Oh man, you've just ruined my day, week, month and also year.  :(((((   Feels like I've just been spinning my wheels in comparison and I've been GB training for a couple of years now.  Don't get me wrong, my hamstring flexibility has improved, ankle slightly and side split.....but I've been working hand stands for many years against the wall and still don't have a freestanding one. (my time has improved though).  And the funny thing is you don't class yourself as athletic / having any genetic advantage.    What do you REALLY think has been the reason for your success in such a short time?

Do you manage to do all x3 stretch sessions every week religiously?  How have you progressed since last Sept?

Well done anyway, a great accomplishment and it's a kick up the a$$ for some of us.

• Upvote 1

Luzian Scherrer

Paul, don't worry. There's always someone who is progressing way faster and someone who is progressing way slower than you. But both are motivating I think, because when you compare to someone who is slower, you get a kick out of it and can tell yourself "well, I'm doing not that bad". On the other hand when you compare to someone who is faster, you also get a kick out of it and can tell yourself "that's possible to achieve, I can try it as well". A nice win/win situation :)

In my opinion the SLS is by far the easiest of the Foundation moves. It was impossible for me a year ago but some day it became doable. One of my biggest goals is the straddle press to handstand. That's such a graceful move. But as of today it still seems impossible for me. Nevertheless, I won't stop till I get it.

My progress is really average and nothing more. But as I've written in the original post, the reason for this progress is consistency. I never miss a workout. And by that I really mean: never ever. And the second important factor might be that I just love doing it :)

I though I would be able to get a flat pancake after about one year of following the Stretch Series (yes, I do it really religiously). I'm following the Stretch Series since the day they came out and I'm far from a flat pancake. But yes, I'm slowly progressing and maybe in another year I'll get my chest down to the floor.

My current status now (about half a year later than the original post):

Foundation: SL/PE11, MN/PE9, SLS/SE5*, FL/PE14, SPL/SE3, HPB/PE10, RC/PE10
Handstand: WP/SE4, FKP/SE4, WR/SE4, FTP/SE4, HS/SE3, pHS/PE5

*SLS is still at the same level because I didn't buy F3/F4 yet.

All I can really say is: keep it up and enjoy the journey!

• Upvote 6

Average??!!! No way - Brilliant progress! Many of us are having to correct years of bad mobility and weight training........stiff as zombies! That's before we're even to get onto the more advanced stuff.  My shoulder flexibility is almost non-existent.  My worst exercise is SLS - barely anything to show for that other than a little improved mobility.  My pulling strength however improved quite considerably.  Pressing strength has been slow.

But yes you're right about motivation and that's why I'm happy to see what's possible for some people - it makes me want to 'get after it', really prove mastery for the exercises, have someone video vet it & be a lot more focussed and diligent recording my results.

Also your determination is much better than mine.  I'm all too quick to cut down stretch sessions / or even sack them off altogether after I've worked out (depending on how late in the day it is) - so I'm conscious I need to address this seeing as it's the flexibility side that's letting me down.

• 3 months later...
Daniel Inman

Lucian,

Kick ass and Inspirational. I am back in for about a month now and seeing progress and feeling better. Keep up the hard work brother!

Daniel

Christopher Denzer

Congrats, Luzian. Getting the muscle ups is impressive! None of the Foundation One elements have rings in them, do they? Can you share what progression you used to get strict muscle ups?

Luzian Scherrer
20 hours ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Congrats, Luzian. Getting the muscle ups is impressive! None of the Foundation One elements have rings in them, do they? Can you share what progression you used to get strict muscle ups?

Sure, the first RC element is on rings and I've spent months on those. For the muscle-up I did not use any progression really. It's a move that I always wanted to be able to do and that I just gave a try from time to time. Some day I knew it was going to happen and it did. It might seem impressive at first but reasonably speaking it's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

• Upvote 1

Petra Dvorak

Congrats, Luzian, for your persistence! That's also a gift...

I also hope to get a muscle up one day, and probably the press to handstand ;-)

an Gruass

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Luzian!

Congrats on your progress and thanks for sharing! Very inspirational. You seem to have no problems with mobility and compression strength. Any ideas why? Well-rounded previous fitness training? Yoga?

Very curious about your status towards the end of the 2nd year.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Luzian Scherrer

So it’s been exactly a year since starting this thread and I’d like to post a little update. 

I’ve been consistently on it and slowly but steadily progressing further up until may 2016. Then suddenly and out of nowhere a serious medical condition called volvulus has hit me. That’s a condition when a loop of the intestine twists around itself and cuts off blood supply. This had nothing at all to do with my training or with my nutrition, but it is a very serious thing that needs immediate treatment.

My stomach had to be opened up for surgery four times via an about 8 inch long cut. Fortunately though, the intestine completely recovered and nothing had to be cut out. I consider this one of the luckiest things in my life. After hospital in the beginning I was so weak that I had to stop and sit down to take a break after just two minutes of slow walking. I’ve lost about 15% of my bodyweight and a lot of muscle.

So all in all, two months of no training and a heavy and stressful impact on the body from surgery, strong medication and unbearable pain.

I’ve resumed training in july by starting foundation and H2 from scratch and H1 from the 5x30s wall stand. The idea is to work up to the level where I was. I’m now feeling very well again and I’m about half way there. As said before, I’ve really and quickly lost a lot of strength, but I guess it’ll come back fully soon.

Still I can report some progress, namely in the flexibility department. Flexibility has improved in almost all areas, especially pike and pancake are much better compared to last year. Unfortunately with the middle split I don’t seem to be getting anywhere, I feel there is nothing happening and I’m not really sure why.

On the positive side I think that it is safe to say that my physical fitness from GST has helped a lot to make it through what has happened. Now let’s get on for another year… my motivation is as high as ever and I really need to nail that handstand press now :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Steven Gilmore

Hi Luzian,

Hi Luzian, I just found this post and really enjoyed it. I bet you became a grumpy bugger with 2 months off training! The personality traits you've shown of consistency and discipline will aid you well in your recovery. Your physique and abilities for someone at 48 are inspirational. All the 48 year olds at my work have big beer guts. So I have to look at this site to see someone like you. I love the internet.

The clean eating goes hand in hand with training I think. I've been going 3 months with GB, and my weight has dropped from 84kg (when I took my profile photo. We had a 'who can get the fattest?' competition on a 14 day cruise. I competed hard) and now it's at 76 kegs. You are next level ripped and it's inspiring to see what consistent training and consistent eating does to the body. 

Good luck with the recovery. 2 years ago I suffered a serious back injury from too much mountain biking. My time in my home gym was spent laying on my back, feet flat on the floor with intense pain, the goal being to lift one foot off the ground at a time before attempting to roll over and recover on all 4's. No one sees this, it's just you, your efforts and your pain. This will be you now after being knifed in the guts, just out in your gym by yourself pushing through it. Just know there's another 40 something fellow on the other side of the world cheering on your efforts.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
Sebastian Garza T

Hello Luzian,

Very inspiring thread! I appreciate yo posting it. It helps keep motivation for us beginners. 

How has your health and progress been the past two years? Where do you stand in the foundation progressions?

best of luck