Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training with previous back injury.

James Swinburn

James Swinburn

Hi Guys,

I am new to the GB training program but am not sure as to the best way to proceed with my training.

In 2001 I picked up a dive cylinder using incorrect posture and was diagnosed with a herniated disc(L5/S1), Up until 2013 my back never gave much complaint my back never gave many problems but in 2013 the pain increased to unbearable thresholds. 

Because the hernia was big I had to have a diseconomy to remove it. Post op I have been fine so long as I keep working since my job is quite labour intensive it tends to keep me in all round good shape and I have had only 1-2 relapses post op. These relapses are normally caused by poor posture when living since I am around 6'4" its difficult to maintain good form. Indeed I have been medically cleared to work with no exceptions to the type of work.

This year I have been mainly unemployed and so have lost physical conditioning which is why I have turned to the GB programs. My main goal is to build up general all round muscle but especially core strengh and obviously the lower back would be an advantage.

My question is given my history of back problems would it be good just to go straight into the Foundation / Handstand course combination or an easier combination? I have lots of time on my hands right now and will be training as many days as possible.

​Look forward to your responses.

James.

F1 and H1 would be fine for you to start on. The stretch series is awesome and for most adults is a must as we have such terrible mobility. Most people that perform Coach's program improve there injuries and become pain free.

Since you are no longer working you would be not doing anywhere near as much general movement as you were. You need to increase general movement throughout the day. So lots of walking, squatting and changing sitting postures every 10-20 minutes. Adding incidental movement in like walking to the shops instaed of driving can make a big difference.

• Upvote 3

James Swinburn

Hi Mark thanks for advice.

Do you think it would be of more benefit to go jogging a few evenings in the week to help with mobility?

Also seem to have a problem doing deck squats. I just find them impossible to do is there any exercise you could think of that would make a good progression to deck squats? Do you think face the wall squats would be better since I can keep my back posture better?

Thanks.

As long as you jog well. Good hip extension is key with running.

Deck squats get better with calf, hamstring and lumbar flexion stretches and a good hollow hold. I found my deck squats improvement accelerated once I started the Front split stretch series.

Hi guys, 

Apologies for the delay in responding.

James, I would personally advise against jogging for now as it definitely places impact strain upon your lower back and I would avoid aggravating it unnecessarily. In the last 2 months I have seen at least 4 patients who have all developed discogenic low back pain (from the discs not the disco  ;) ) after attempting the Couch to 5k smartphone app. Their bodies simply didn't have the necessary conditioning to cope (joint mobility, muscular support and coordination). Now seeing as you have had a major injury and operative procedure it's best to proceed wisely.

I have seen numerous clients that have had procedures as yours and I too can give testament to the benefits of this programme, but would advise on taking the time to do the full 12 week cycles on the early progressions. Particularly for the Manna progressions, in order to give your spine the time to adapt to the loaded flexion exercises, and keep the weight low!

Keep us up to date with your progress and best wishes and welcome to the start of a new you and better you!

Wesley

• Upvote 1

Scale the deck squat. In a gymnastics gym I would use a layered panel mat. In a regular gym, I'd use a low bench (which is probably still too easy). So try to figure out a way to scale it. You can also use a weight to act as a counterweight as a stop gap measure or progression.

If you can find a place to do them like off a curb that might work.