Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

knee injury recovery

Guillaume Schollier

Guillaume Schollier

Hi everyone, 

I'm a 31 year old male with a love for gymnastics (albeit no training in the field).. and also with a knee injury..

My knees were already cracking excessively for a few years (probably from a combination of starting with intensive martial arts, sitting cross legged for long times on meditation retreats and prolonged travel while eating a diet mostly based on fruits for an extended period of time).

About 8 months ago, I saw a doctor who recommended me an exercise to help repair them (this happened in India, I was there for yoga training..). While trying the exercise (pushing the knee down while lying on my back) with the doctor, the left knee was overextended at the first trial.   

It is not causing me pain, but few times already I felt like I was falling through my left leg. And generally, my knees feel weaker than they used to be.

Could following the gymnasticbodies training help recover the injury and make my knees strong again?

Or rather, should I be careful not to undertake this training as it could put more stress and make the injury worse?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice,

Giyom

Edited by Giyom

Hi Giyom,

I am a physical therapist who trains with Foundations 1 and Handstand 1 and I have thought about your type of question a lot.  What I do know is that once you start the program, the advice and specific tips you get from the coaches and athletes, while on the foundations forum help problem solve ways to improve knee strength in a safe manner.  The Gymnastic Bodies programming progresses in a very intelligent manner; starting at a very basic level, (although this basic level is challenging for me) and nothing is progressed with bad form or pain. 

Best of Luck,

Ryan

• Upvote 3

Guillaume Schollier

Hi Ryan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

It's re-assuring to hear this from a physiotherapist whom has given this considerate thought.

Warm thanks,

Giyom

• Upvote 1

I thought my knees were completely f####d, being painful just walking my daughters pram down the street, and that it was just something I needed to accept. Now, 3-4 years into training single let squats, following the foundation series for the last 2,5 years, I just don't notice them anymore. No pain, not even going down a mountain with a 30 KG pack.

Definitely go for the foundation series, the knee prep alone is literally worth the price as it will save you so much treatment in the future.

• Upvote 7

Guillaume Schollier

Impressive!

Thanks for the motivating words, Ravn!

Already purchased F1 and H1..

Looking forward to get started

I thought my knees were completely f####d, being painful just walking my daughters pram down the street, and that it was just something I needed to accept. Now, 3-4 years into training single let squats, following the foundation series for the last 2,5 years, I just don't notice them anymore. No pain, not even going down a mountain with a 30 KG pack.

Definitely go for the foundation series, the knee prep alone is literally worth the price as it will save you so much treatment in the future.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Matthew Jefferys

I can't stress how awesome the SE>iM elements from SLS are for stabilising and strengthening the knee. It's worth buying F1 through F4!

• Upvote 3

^ what mercurial said.

Every time I feel like slacking off, I look at the last iM & SE (at the end of F4) for each element, then head back to my gym for more training.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
Michael Moore

G,

Isometric contractions of the legs during  core and upper body work also adds to the knee stabilization without overly taxing recovery. Enjoy. 

Mike

• 4 months later...
Mikey Cunanan

From personal experience.  I underwent acl reconstruction and a menisectomy in September 29, 2015. I chose not to go to physical therapy and use gb foundation 1 and stretch series for my rehabilitation.  I made a full recovery and returned to brazilian jiu-jitsu just 6 months after.  Not only that but my mobility has improved and I am more flexible than I have ever been in my life. @Coach Sommer and GB have changed my view on fitness and helped me improve my quality of life. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tanya Hill

Mikey,

Thank you for sharing your success story.  Keep up the good work friend! See you soon again for another seminar.