Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced Tuck Planche Question

nbraun198

Okay. Just like 2 week ago, I couldn't hold the advanced tuck for 2 seconds. Then I started working on the back lever and exercising my back. Now i can hold the advanced tuck with relative ease. I can hold the static for like 15 seconds, then my wrist starts to hurt a little so i let go (tendonitis in my left). I can do a couple pushups in the advanced tuck, like 2 - 6 before i usually lose my balance.

My question is, should i absolutely wait so that i am able to hold the advanced tuck for the full 60s? Or should i go for more like 30 seconds? My wrist is a really hindering factor.

Thanks.

First of all get your wrist fixed, it will one get worse in more advanced planches. After that i'd say a solid 15 second adv tuck should make you able to do a straddle for at least a few seconds if you have somewhat decent active straddle flexibility. Ofcourse you just gotta get used to the balance in the beginning :)

Once you can hold a static hold for 15-20 seconds you may be ready to move on if you can hold the next progression for 2-3 seconds.

Joshua Naterman

I can tell you from my current experience with my right elbow that if you don't back off just a little and get rid of that tendonitis, you are going to make it worse to the point that you will have to back off of planche training entirely. Ice it immediately after every workout and then apply intense heat, preferably "moist" heat. It's easier than it sounds, just put on a long sleeve tshirt or take a thin sock and cut the toe off, then put it on your hand, wrist and forearm, wet it, and apply the hot packs as normal. Heat is transferred 30 times faster through water than through air, so the moisture allows more of the heat to enter your wrist, which will make the heat treatments more effective. The same concept works for cold treatments as well.

Thanks for the advice. I am not SURE that its tendinitis, but i am relatively sure that it is. I will back off a little. My shoulders are dead today anyway and my back is dead too, so ill lay off for a while.

Joshua Naterman

I just looked it up. I have tendonosis. Those pictures are scary! :P I am absolutely following the recovery plan they mentioned. You know what's funny? I sort of figured out on my own that I would have to do something similar to what they are talking about in order to recover. I had to do the same thing years ago when I had tendonitis/osis, whatever i had back then, in my elbows from too much upper body only rope climbing.