Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle-up transition strength

Petri Widsten

Is there a drill I can actually do to develop strength for the transition in bar/ring muscle-ups? I know Russian and elbow dips are such but I can't do them. Pulling and dipping strength are not a problem as I can do chins and PB dips with over 50% added, C2B pull-ups, deep straight bar/PB dips and ring dips. Would standing 180 degree lat pull downs with straight arms target the same muscles?

What are the muscles worked in the transition?

Also, I'm new to the forum and was looking for a search field. is there one in this forum?

Bottom line; if you are not strong enough to do Russian dips, you are not yet strong enough to be training muscle-ups.

Playing around with them occasionally? Yes. Seriously focusing on them? No.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6

Thanks Coach and Jules.

I'm able to do up to 5 successive bar MUs on a grippy pull-up bar that hangs quite close to the wall (cannot swing) but using a false grip and kipping with knees for assistance. Doing them this way I'm really skipping the transition required for a strict bar MU. On the rings I get stuck in the transition (haven't tried kipping on rings). I'd love to train Russian dips but as I'm unable to do them I can only hope Foundation 2-4 will include progressions to them. If that's the case, I'm happy to wait till I get there from F1. If not, I'd be interested in strengthening the specific muscles required.

I noticed the search field, thanks. Seems you have to be logged in for it to appear.

Would standing 180 degree lat pull downs with straight arms target the same muscles?

No. During the transition the upper arm goes past the centerline, and behind the body, which is never the case with straight arm lat pull downs. I suspect that the posterior deltoids are the prime movers in the transition with the triceps and a bunch of other muscles being synergists.

If you can do the stuff you say you can, you should be able to do at least one MU rep. Doing ten reps requires a big strength surplus, but a single rep is actually quite easy.

Try and pull the rings towards you sternum, and then past it to to the side of the ribcage.

Also, DO take Coach Sommer's advice about only playing with them seriously. If you're unprepared, which it sounds like you are, you may get all sorts of nasty issues, like forearm splints, tendonitis etc.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

It' s not a case that the most of people are able to do the muscle up at the end of foundations.

for now, I have 4 clients who work with me since 1.5 year. all of them are near to complete RC and all of them started F3 for HBP. all of them are capable of muscleup on rings and on bar. I give no gratis progressions, hard work pays.

• Upvote 1

I had terrible transition strength and had no chance of doing Russian dips. I am now doing them in F2. The Foundation program will get you where you want to go, but you need to follow the appropriate progressions.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm inclined to think that my weakness in transition is due to certain muscles lagging behind my lats and tris;maybe it's the delts as Ravn proposed. It's as if I'm unable to exert any strenght when I reach the sticking point. Awesome that F2 has Russian dips. I'm just one week into F1 so it'll take a while to get there. I haven't really trained for work capacity until now so its grueling.

Keilani Gutierrez

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm inclined to think that my weakness in transition is due to certain muscles lagging behind my lats and tris;maybe it's the delts as Ravn proposed. It's as if I'm unable to exert any strenght when I reach the sticking point. Awesome that F2 has Russian dips. I'm just one week into F1 so it'll take a while to get there. I haven't really trained for work capacity until now so its grueling.

give it a years worth of effort. take a picture of how things feel now vs then and you'll be amazed. :)
  • Upvote 1