Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bicep training

Samuel Carr

It seems like all the elements of ring training involve mostly triceps, and only occasionally during underhanded griped pull ups do biceps come into play. Because of this, my triceps are a lot stronger/bigger than biceps. Are there ring exercises specifically for the biceps?

There's a whole section in the book on full body curl variations, and another on pulling exercises, and yet another section on hybrid pushing/pulling...

Today's workout is basically a pulling workout.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I feel like most of the exercises i do are working the triceps. I have noticed increases in my bicep size quite significantly (although before I started training I had stick arms, I could pretty much wrap my hand around my whole upper arm) but it doesn't feel like I am using them much except for some pull ups and ring supports.

Yeah what Gregor is saying is why. I never specifically trained my bicep, but now its like 13.5" to 14" (yes i measured). And like you, I started off with little stick arms. From what I have done so far, i can say that the iron cross and the back lever for me made me feel the most elbow/bicep strain. I don't train the planche on the rings, and i don' do it with hands backwards, but when i do like an advanced tucked planche with hands backwards, i really feel my bicep.

I am only talking from MY experience and it may be different for you.

• Upvote 1

David Picó García

Cross pulls (assisted if you can't) are great for biceps (and chest, and forearms and lats :P ). After two months my biceps grew as if a were doing biceps curls all day.

Another great exercise that you'll feel on biceps is rings flyes. If you have Coach Rings, that are height adjustable, low them almost to floor and starting at a pushup position inestead of a push up do a fly (move your hands to the side with LOCKED elbows). Great for pecs and biceps. If you can't do the exercise try to support on your knees inestead of the feet. Other variation is from push up position lower to maltesse (the same thing abour knees and feet).

I always thought pushing motions (like regular supports) involved triceps because you're pushing yourself up?

I always thought pushing motions (like regular supports) involved triceps because you're pushing yourself up?

If your arms are locked, there's very little triceps stress (except with pushing backwards such as in the manna).

Anything above the rings with straight arms involves chest and lats significantly to stabilize. Straight arm work like planche, maltese, cross, inverted cross, etc. all use biceps significantly

• 7 months later...
Cross pulls (assisted if you can't) are great for biceps (and chest, and forearms and lats :P ). After two months my biceps grew as if a were doing biceps curls all day.

Another great exercise that you'll feel on biceps is rings flyes. If you have Coach Rings, that are height adjustable, low them almost to floor and starting at a pushup position inestead of a push up do a fly (move your hands to the side with LOCKED elbows). Great for pecs and biceps. If you can't do the exercise try to support on your knees inestead of the feet. Other variation is from push up position lower to maltesse (the same thing abour knees and feet).

Interesting. Wonder when I could try this out.. :)

Neal Winkler

I have a question on inverted curls that I couldn't discern from the book.

Are the elbows supposed to be to the side of the hips, or leveraged on the ASIS?

Neal Winkler

Anyone? I couldn't tell exactly from the picture of you are supposed to put the elbows on the front of anterior superior iliac spine or leave them off to side.

Anyone? I couldn't tell exactly from the picture of you are supposed to put the elbows on the front of anterior superior iliac spine or leave them off to side.

I have no clue. I do them with the elbows free, but...

Joshua Naterman

I do some bicep specific work with the rings. You could consider it assistance work for more advanced people, for me it's really elbow/forearm flexor pre-hab and rehab. I just set my rings around hip height and hang from them, body and arms straight, like an upside down push up. Then I curl my palms towards my head until my knuckles are touching the top of my forehead. THis is estremely hard. I can't even do ONE with my feet at the same elevation as the rings, and I can do preacher curls with at least 150 lbs.

I do some bicep specific work with the rings. You could consider it assistance work for more advanced people, for me it's really elbow/forearm flexor pre-hab and rehab. I just set my rings around hip height and hang from them, body and arms straight, like an upside down push up. Then I curl my palms towards my head until my knuckles are touching the top of my forehead. THis is estremely hard. I can't even do ONE with my feet at the same elevation as the rings, and I can do preacher curls with at least 150 lbs.

Would you advise doing these instead of inverted curls?

Joshua Naterman

Lord, no. They're just something extra. I would think they help, over time.

Neal Winkler

I have no clue. I do them with the elbows free, but...

My fault, I meant the reverse muscle up, not the inverted curls. Does that change your answer?