Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Headstand leg lifts - Benefits, Carryover ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

I would like to know more about this exercise ( In a headstand with straight legs touch the ground and then lift them back up )  :

*Major muscles involved

*Overall function of the exercise

*High rep benefits

*Possible carryovers into further GST

Also next progression would be to perform this exercise in a forearm headstand ( That removes the support of the arms and makes it much harder )

I want to know is this a good thing to master or is it only for "Show"

I will be waiting Your replies.

Thank you !

• Upvote 1

Mark Collins or someone more knowledgeable could explain much better (please correct me if I´m wrong) but as far as I know:

Main muscles: lower back (like Quadratus Lumborum)

psoas, iliacus

tensor fascia latae

gluteus medius/maximus

quadriceps

This exercise is listed at Foundation 2 (SL-PE9) as a possible substitute for hanging reverse leg lifts ( if you can´t do it at the stall bars), so we can expect to reap similar benefits from it.

It can also be used as a prep for the initial steps at press to handstand, helping to develop balance and some strength at part of the necessary ROM, doing just a press to headstand.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Laine Rinehart

My experience with forearm presses is that it seems to be a much different movement than handstand press. I am sure there must be some carry over as far as hip compression and core strength but the movement in the shoulders is vastly different.

• Upvote 1

I just tried it on head against the wall, it was harder than on stalls. I did my progressions on stall but now i see, that i cheated as now was my back flat against the wall, totally harder. On stalls i thought i was doing it correct. 

hm... but now i dont have option on doing them on stall bar. Headstand it is :)

I imagine the possible carryover is good for running. You're strengthening the body in a similar fashion that running conditions the body. The torso is braced with the core, while the prime movers of the leg are doing their thing. This and L-sit would be a perfect combination