Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

increasing leg power for tumbling

Hayden Whealing

Hayden Whealing

I hope this has not been covered in a different thread, if it has please notify me of that thread for me to read.

I would like to know which exercises to do for developing leg power to improve your tumbling. I know that calfs/shins are important for rebounding skills but I am also very interested in standing flips so would like to know how to improve those as well.

I am currently doing natural leg curls and SLS's 2 times a week along with tumbling 3 times a week plus some calf and shin work.

Thanks in advance

Hayden Whealing

I tried out that leg workout when you posted it but only did it that once. Guess I'll be doing it again.

I am also considering that workout you posted here awhile ago where you do 50 backflips without tucking, but might have to work up to that volume.

Hayden Whealing
I would full squat reaching 2xBodyweight, and then doing ido's training.

I don't have access to a gym, so the only weights I have access to are 12kg's made up of 4 different dumbbells. So the weighted squats are not doable for me.

Has anyone tried those 50 backflips in in sets of 3-5. They sound like fun :D

Also i read that natural leg curls are good for increasing your vertical leap because they develop the posterior chain? could someone explain what that means

thank you :mrgreen:

Any posterior chain work will help.

Developing the robounding ability should focus on REACTIVE work such as plyometrics such Coach Sommer's video on senders (form of reactive plyometrics).

Increasing strength of the lower body through full body lifts like DL, squat, Oly, etc. is beneficial as well. Pistol progressions work, GHR/bodyweight curls work. Anything focusing on the glutes and hamstrings = posterior chain

Strong + reactive work + tumbling = big power = big air

Hayden Whealing

Today I took the advice and formed this workout:

warm up

Backflip from Iso squat, 3 sets 5 reps 90 seconds rest between sets

rest 3 min

natural leg curls, 3 sets 5 reps 90 seconds rest between sets

rest 2 min

round off with rebound jump at end, 2 sets 5 reps 90 seconds rest between sets

What does everyone think of it? I thought it felt pretty good. I'm thinking of having senders instead of round offs.