Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Morning Routines/Breakfast

David Kliewer

David Kliewer

Just wondering how everyone here fuels themselves in the morning. Along with that, do you follow a morning routine for priming your mindset and getting prepared for the day? This stuff really interests me. 

4 eggs with 2 slices of ham. 2 slices of ham to snack on (I think they are 1oz each). Couple sticks of cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or pepperjack). Tear ham into small pieces and it cooks up within minutes. Sometimes I'll make 3 pieces of bacon and then cook the eggs in that bu total prep time is much longer since the bacon has to cook first (at least 5 minutes, maybe 8). If I make bacon, I omit the eggs. This usually accompanies a cup of whey protein, ground up herbs, and daily supplements.

Coffee/ZeroCalRedbull/Ice water (+caffeine pills).

Sometimes I like to listen to some music playlists to get me to get out of bed. Or screw around on FB or IG if I'm not in a real hurry. Most of the time I get out of bed is because I need to eat food pronto or drink fluids. Or my phone is about to die.

I literally roll out of bed (I don't even stand up) and immediately do a set of iM1. Then I drink coffee. Then I start working (I work from home when not on the road).

Throughout the day I progress through sets of iM2, iM3, etc.

I have a treadmill desk so I walk a lot while I work.

I typically work out at night after putting the kids to bed. I do Foundation, Handstand and Stretch series.

Murray Truelove

Coffee and BCAA's (warning maybe bioscience) I train fasted and apparently BCAA are useful.

I spend about 20 minuets limbering before starting Foundation - my mobility is terrible though, if it was better I'd probably start straight away.

Daily Rituals by Mason Currey is an entire book about these sorts of things. It's fascinating!

Personally, I typically eat protein and fat for breakfast (bacon and eggs), a balanced meal at lunch (chicken, spinach, and berries), and protein and carbs at dinner (salmon, broccoli, and sweet potatoes). Caffeine (in the form of coffee) in the AM only, as any later it will affect my ability to fall asleep. I buy coffee from local roasters, roasted within the week, and I grind it right before I brew it. The act of heating up the water, grinding the beans, and pouring the water (pour-over or Chemex typically) is my morning ritual.

I don't usually train in the mornings, as I often coach at 6 and 7 am. If I do, these days it's been a warm-up jog outside (bare-chested in the sun if possible) followed by about 30 minutes of flexibility and/or handstand work. Then strength work in the early afternoon before coaching again at night.

Best,

Chris

David Kliewer

I wake up and immediately go to the bathroom, empty my bladder and then put my heart rate monitor on. 

Then I will lay down and stabilize my RHR, check HRV, and do some gratitude journaling. Then I'm up and moving, and I will drink 2 large water bottles full of warm water with possibly some sea salt added. I'll make my bed and then go out for a 20-30 minute walk outdoors to get some sunshine and listen to a podcast or audiobook. 

When I get back to the house I will eat my breakfast. Sometimes I switch it up almost daily or I can go weeks on end eating the same thing for my first meal. For instance the last few months it was this:

1 scoop Grass Fed Whey or Pea Protein

1 TBSP Collagen Powder

1 TBSP Chia Seed

1/3 Cup Coconut Milk 

2 raw egg yolks

1 cup Canned Pumpkin

After eating. I'll brew some pour-over coffee and plan my day. Training is usually either 2 session with mostly mobility/handstand work in the AM and Foundation work around 2PM. Or just one session with Foundation work in the afternoon. 

I've consistently meditated in the past, but somehow I've fell out of the practice. It just doesn't seem like there is enough time in the morning to get everything done that I would like to do to optimize my day. If I added the meditation back in, I feel like I might have to cut out my morning walk. I don't want to do that, as I view the walk as as the additional Vitamin D I need for health and to optimize my circadian rhythm. 

David Kliewer

Daily Rituals by Mason Currey is an entire book about these sorts of things. It's fascinating!

Personally, I typically eat protein and fat for breakfast (bacon and eggs), a balanced meal at lunch (chicken, spinach, and berries), and protein and carbs at dinner (salmon, broccoli, and sweet potatoes). Caffeine (in the form of coffee) in the AM only, as any later it will affect my ability to fall asleep. I buy coffee from local roasters, roasted within the week, and I grind it right before I brew it. The act of heating up the water, grinding the beans, and pouring the water (pour-over or Chemex typically) is my morning ritual.

I don't usually train in the mornings, as I often coach at 6 and 7 am. If I do, these days it's been a warm-up jog outside (bare-chested in the sun if possible) followed by about 30 minutes of flexibility and/or handstand work. Then strength work in the early afternoon before coaching again at night.

Best,

Chris

Sounds like a form of carb backloading. Do you know about that protocol? Or is this just something you came up with that works well for you?

Sean Murphey

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches.

I can do 1000 now... 

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

• Upvote 8

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches.

I can do 1000 now...

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

BAM!

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I love hidden (or not so hidden) movie quotes. It took me a while to realize what was going on but after the honey almond body scrub thing I knew you were up to something! :)

As far as my routine it highly depends on the schedule of my lectures for the semester. Last year I had lectures only in the afternoon (how convenient is that?), now they're all in the morning.

I usually get up as soon as the alarm goes on cause its sound really bothers me and visit the bathroom for a quick little oil change. After that I have my breakfast. This consists of cereals+almond milk or 2 eggs over easy that I put inside some fresh baked whole wheat bread (depends on time and willing to cook the food, and maybe what I'm planning to eat during the rest of the day). I wash it down with some tea on non-training days or some coffee when I have to work out. I also always eat a banana and take down fish oil (unless I'm having salmon that day). That's pretty much it, the rest is just regular "making myself presentable" stuff.

Breakfast: After drinking a glass of water, I usually eat two servings of apple cinnamon oatmeal. Sometimes I also have five medjool dates after the oatmeal.

Breakfast: After drinking a glass of water, I usually eat two servings of apple cinnamon oatmeal. Sometimes I also have five medjool dates after the oatmeal.

You should get a little fiesty somtimes and have six medjool dates before the oatmeal, Ooolala!

• Upvote 1

You should get a little fiesty somtimes and have six medjool dates before the oatmeal, Ooolala!

Settle down there wildfire, this advice borders on irresponsible ;)

Coffee for me usually and go. Lately morning training has been bacon/eggs maybe 20-30 mins before. Probably not ideal in terms of timing but needs must when time is short, and I find I do better with something in my stomach even if its just a nudge to the metabolism to wake up

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

Mon - Fri:

On waking up: banana, blueberries, full fat milk, and a sprinkling of porridge oats in a blender. As Jon says, just enough to feel that I have sustenance. 10mins later, a cup of coffee. 

Go to workout, then actual breakfast of a bowl of hot dahl post-workout and another cup of coffee.

Sat & Sun:

Cereals and fry-ups (sausages++, bacon, & egg) and no workouts. YAY!  :D

I wake up and have a bowl of homemade oatmeal.   Not the packaged stuff (too much sugar).  Along with two slices of whole grain bread.  This is what I have nearly every morning.  Then I read some inspirational literature for 15-20 minutes and off to work.  I have a very active, labor intensive job.  Around 9 in the morning I will have a snack.  Usually some type of fruit (apple, banana, orange).  If I have had a very physical morning I like the banana.  Sometimes I will make a fruit or protein smoothie before work if I know it will be a particularly difficult day.  I don't use the typical protein mixes you find in the store.  For me they don't do anything.  There are however a few out there that I feel actually help.  3Fu3l and Purepharma.  I don't drink any Coffee or Drink any alcohol and for that matter I don't drink any soda or any thing with caffeine.  I have my own garden so I regularly eat fresh vegetables and eat meat with moderation.  I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night.  I get home from work change my clothes and go right into my workout.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Herring

Ok.  I'll play along.

Stumble out of bed head straight to the kitchen.  

24oz of coffee 30 to 40 minutes prior to workout.  Drink half a liter of water while I wait on the coffee to brew.

That 30 minutes involves reading, watching videos, writing down today's workout.  Anything that can mentally stimulate me awake.

One hour training block: mobility warm up, warm up, workout or stretching, supplemental work as time permits. 

Meat and nut breakfast (Charles Poliquin) post workout.

Shower, off to work.

Lots of room to improve.  

Haha, the dates thing reminds me of Brian Regans skit: 

Been doing this routine every morning for about 6-7months now and liking it: Bathroom, drink a liter of water, walk the dog. As soon as I get back I do a whole body qigong-esque prehab/mobility warmup. Sometimes I'll throw in some extra meditation or motivation/gratitude stuff if I feel like the day needs it. Then I start practicing the foundation routine (I have to make it a point to remind myself its practice so I don't try to eek out crappy reps just to feel good or imagine progress where there is none) or some more prehab.

Once I'm finished, I'll blend up a protein fruit smoothie if it was a Foundation day, make breakfast and coffee, and then go to work (also work from home). 

Sometimes I'll wait to cook breakfast until after the family wakes up and I'll spend some time with them.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.