Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Part of muscle not working?

Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen

I wasn't sure if this was the best place to put this but: Is it possible for part of a muscle to be less active than the rest of it?

I've had back problems for years and, with the help of a couple of physical therapists, I found that it comes from a lazy glute.

I was noticing today an area of the glute near where the upper-inner corner of my back pants pocket is that doesn't like to stay active. When I get it to work, my back feels really good and I can walk and lift things in comfort but I can also feel that it fatigues rapidly. It's like that one part of the muscle is really out of shape.

The funny thing is I've always been able to flex my butt, practice glute bridges and karate kicks and stuff but it's like that section of muscle doesn't like to be active during certain activities or positions. Does that sound like something that can happen?

During my walk today I was able to feel that area of the glute working more than usual and the muscles of the opposite side foot felt like they were also working harder than usual. I've been having issues with plantar fasciitis in that foot and I was wondering if there could be a connection? Could glute issues on one side lead to foot problems on the other side?

Can someone explain how this works or if I'm just crazy?

Thanks.

Matthew Jefferys

Poor glute activation is a thing. You'll see hundreds of posts from Cross-fitters about it. Do some research; it's all there. Teaching your nervous system to activate those fibres and improving muscular condition will be in order.

Chris Hansen

Now that I can actually feel the muscle and have some control over it, I've found that different deadlift variations have been the best thing for waking it up. Jefferson curls and kettlebell deads have been especially good, also arch body holds.

It just seems funny that the muscle does tense up and do work but it's like the coordination is off. It's like it doesn't work hard enough in certain positions or movements. And I feel it in a specific area rather than throughout the whole muscle. That might just be perception though and not what's actually happening. It's been getting better and I suspect it will continue to improve as the muscles get stronger.

Matthew Jefferys

It's all about the nervous system; the muscle tissue itself isn't directly involved. Can you move each toe on one foot individually? Probably not. That's simply because your nervous system isn't tuned for that movement. Same deal with your glutes. Bret Contreras posts a lot of stuff on his website about that muscle group (He's known as "the glute guy"). Check some of those exercises and drills out. And as with anything... Practice, practice, practice. Because it's a nervous thing, focus and practice will go a long way when coupled with strength training.

Edited by Mercurial Flow

Matthew Jefferys

By the way, your plantar fasciitis is simply being affected by your change in gait as your glutes activate differently. However, the issue causing that inflammation is separate. Foot exercises are your go to.