Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Feel like getting violent

DanPlanche

Murray Truelove

Have you seen how crossfitters do leg raises (toes to bar)? Not saying the article is correct but in GST leg raises are part of the Manna progression, for general fitness maybe not.

Note the difference between long-time 'national team coach' vs 'certified fitness trainer and author of 10 minute fitness DVD' ;) To be fair to an unprepped person a lot of GST exercises are relatively dangerous, but as we know, that is not the case with a correct approach.

Also I hate 'toes to bar.' Seriously, how hard is 'keep your legs straight?'

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez

Also I hate 'toes to bar.' Seriously, how hard is 'keep your legs straight?'

haha. it's up there with "hinge from the hip" for a pike stretch, "flex your abs and press your lower back into the floor" for hollow holds and my favorite "straight body while in plank. this isn't a yoga class, no downward dogs!"

the group im working with has condition, however the problems are all neurological: no idea what engaging abs feels like, ppt, pft don't even ask. protraction and depression they've wrapped their heads around after around a few months of working with them. I had to begin row variations with a barbell in a squat rack because the instability of the rings would make them half row / half pull up with either a flexed torso or overly arched back but funny enough not one of them can do a hinge row. not. one. single. person. it completely blows theirs minds up.

today for the first time, i heard someone say they got a cramp in their abs from doing hollow holds with bent legs. i was so proud. :)

• Upvote 2

today for the first time, i heard someone say they got a cramp in their abs from doing hollow holds with bent legs. i was so proud. :)

That's cool :) Doin good work :)

The leglifts anecdote is probably due to Stuart McGill's work on spinal flexion that humans have x amount of spinal flexion repetitions in their spine in their lifetime.

Chris Hansen

The funny thing about "exercises you should never do" articles is that pretty much every exercise you can think of has made it on to one of the lists. Usually the exercises that promise certain doom are ones that have never bothered me while some of the 'approved' exercises leave me in pain.

Ronnicky Roy

It's amazing what makes the list.

So far I've seen situps, back squats, even squat thrusts at one point because of the bending over motion..

I swear, they most do these studies on desk workers

Nicholas Green

In the case McGill's study, it was done on the spines of dead pigs. Due to the differing nature of a living spine and a dead spine, it should only be indicative of a need for further investigation, rather than a proclamation that repeated flexion movements are bad for the spine. There are other studies out there, and I'm not trying to disparage McGill's work, just giving an example of how this stuff comes out and people take off running with it.

• Upvote 2