Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scottish Heavy Athletics Highland Games

Ryan Libke

This site is obviously dedicated to GST, to which I am also dedicated.  However, I have always wanted to try the throwing events competed at the local Highland Games.  I am going to try my first games September 19, with GST as my main form of strength training.  I am undertaking to learn the throwing techniques as best as I am able, but my goal is just to get some initial experience.

Has anyone else competed in the "heavy" events?  Any advice?  This should be interesting experiment in using GST.  I may supplement with some Olympics and kettlebell, but will be following Foundation and Handstand.  

Nicholas Sortino

What are the events?  I've done some strongman competitions and our gym holds a highlands games every year.

Deep core strength is crucial in these kinds of competitions.  Like being able to create a ton of intra-abdominal pressure.  And that's not something that is easy to train for.  But there are some things you can do.

Yoke walks

Bear hug a super heavy sand bag and walk/run with it.  Bonus points if you pull a sled at the same time (attached to your waist)

Zercher Squats/Deadllfts/walks

Tumbling

Lockouts

Of course practice the events themselves if you get the chance.  But it you can't, the exercises I mentioned will probably do you more good than olympic lifting and kettlebell work.

Bryan Wheelock

GST will not teach you to throw a cyber. You need to find a list of the events and practice them. There is usually a hammer type throw, a 36 pound weight throw for height and a caber.

The events are all throwing type attempts.  Two categories of stone throws, much like throwing shot; two hammer throws, which require spin of the body, and is basically a very large iron lolly-pop; the caber, which is really hard to describe, but amounts to throwing a small but longish tree trunk; two categories of a weight on a chain; and a throw for height.  There is also an event with a pitch-fork, but that will not be competed in this particular game.  Basically, it comes down to an expression of power.  Most of the fellows who do this well are large, and I am not.  There is, however, a lightweight division at some of the games.  

bigB, I agree.  The event will require specific practice.  I am making the implements to the best of my ability.  A good professional competitor, Matt Vincent, has published some material about training, including how to make a practice caber.  He also has some good material on youtube, if anyone is curious.  I will still be using GST as my general strength base.