Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Balance during one leg squat progressions

Spencer Kelleher

Spencer Kelleher

First I wasn't sure if this went in this forum or the balance one so forgive any mistake please.

My balance for my one legged squat progressions has always been pretty bad, and I never went back to easier progressions solely to focus on improving my balance. At this point when I am getting close to doing pistol squat, I am concerned that I have missed out on strength development as a result.

Does actively balancing during one leg squat progressions improve strength of the leg, perhaps by stressing accessory muscles normally not used in a balance-assisted squat? And more importantly, is this strengthening of the accessory muscles significant. Because ultimately I just want to make my legs stronger, I do not plan to pursue an adventure in tumbling, and will probably switch over to weighted squats eventually. In other words I am not concerned with skill development, just the strength.

• 2 weeks later...
Hannibal Ahmed

Freely balancing will provide more benefit and such stabilization is part of the reason to do one legged as opposed to two legged work, which you seem to already know.

P.s. if you want legs that possess only one quality, powerlifting would suit you better than gst (no offence powerlifters)

Edited by tennissports

Spencer Kelleher

Well you may be right about the powerlifting for legs thing. I just dont have a barbell which is why I am doing these one legged progressions. My feet are also horrendously overpronated which I suspect may be causing some balance issues but I am not sure. Unfortunately I was born with my feet like this, not acquired by a lifestyle.

Balancing on one foot is more skill than strength- you have to develop the control to fire the small muscles in the right order and right intensity to maintain balance. 

As for how that carries over into strict strength, I would posit that the skill of balancing helps stabilize your leg when you are lifting heavy, but I have nothing to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Balancing on one foot is more skill than strength- you have to develop the control to fire the small muscles in the right order and right intensity to maintain balance. 

As for how that carries over into strict strength, I would posit that the skill of balancing helps stabilize your leg when you are lifting heavy, but I have nothing to back it up.

Are there any particular drills to improve the skill of balancing on one foot? I suppose just practice balancing on one foot?

Nicholas Sortino

Are there any particular drills to improve the skill of balancing on one foot? I suppose just practice balancing on one foot?

Do it with your eyes closed.  Makes it really hard.

The lesson here is that you should brush your teeth, as the above post clarifies.  Apart from that, doing one legged squats do not serve uniquely as a developmental tool for tumbling, but have general strengthening attributes.  The inability to balance is an initial limitation to using SLS for developing strength, but getting the balance down is also one the benefits of doing them.  

Also, if your goal is to succeed at powerlifting competitions, then SLS would be supplemental, as to get good at back squats, you should do back squats.  

Another way to look at it is to just get through the SLS progressions, and your body will be primed for back squatting, and you can approach leg strengthening as best furthers your goals.  For me, what is important is to look good, like for the ladies.  Or the lady.  I am married.  

Another way to look at it is to just get through the SLS progressions, and your body will be primed for back squatting, and you can approach leg strengthening as best furthers your goals. For me, what is important is to look good, like for the ladies. Or the lady. I am married.

Surely the ladies will appreciate that. You're being generous to mankind, no reason to limit that to the wife, right?

I should clarify that I mean looking good on the dance floor.  It is functional strength that is needed, so my disco moves may look effortless.