Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Nutrition Supplement?

kevinpeter

Matthew Jefferys

I personally cannot say creatine had any noticeable effect on my training. Monohydrate completely failed for me, I just retained large amounts of water and could not increase strength. Cre-Alkalyn (buffered creatine) was better, as the dosage can be reduced by quite a bit. Again, I didn't notice any changes.

Keep in mind, supplements make maybe 3% difference. It always amazes me how much money people spend for this stuff, when most of it has zero to no effect. Guess its due to genius marketing and general lack of knowledge :D For that kind of money most people could run a steroid cycle^^

Then your genes/diet are giving you close to 100% of your maximum creatine levels. Damn lucky!  :eek:

Most supplements are very expensive and damn near useless, but I say if they're cheap; why not? And creatine is the only thing I stand by at the moment, and I acknowledge it won't do something for everyone.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I used to be heavy into supplements, antioxidants, and the whole notion of pills, potions, and so on. But frankly, there are five factors that help most:

1. Hard, intelligent, consistent work in the gym and soft tissue work/stretching on your body

2. Sleep (in the form of naps and shut-eye before 11 pm most nights, if you can cut it)

3. Water intake and minerals (I mean here salt and magnesium; CALM and a little Himalayan salt [1/4tsp] taken separately in a glass of water once or twice a day can do wonders for rehydration)

4. Vegetables (the more they are varied the better) and fruit (if you follow number 2 and get enough of these then caffeine won't really be necessary; optional, sure)

5. Macronutrients: protein, carbohydrates, fats (break these up however you like -- I hear there's a nutrition course or something that people have been THRIVing on  ;) )

Beyond that, all I would really recommend if one wanted are:

- a sustainably harvested fish oil (this is if you don't eat much fish; if you do eat much fish then taking this would be redundant);

- vitamin D3, if you live anywhere that experiences consistent overcast skies (so, not Denver or Honolulu) (there is countless research on why vitamin D3 is good for you and why most people need it);

- and a probiotic with at least 10 billion strands (helps with upset stomach and there's consistently more research coming out about its immune support and for overall health) 

- I also have a vegetable powder I put in some smoothies I make, but this is personal preference and simply because sometimes I don't want to make breakfast or have time to do so. (I throw what would amount to a kale salad with fruit and nut butter into a blender along with some of these vegetable powders and call it a wrap).

I've experimented with a lot of supplements and what I've found is that these more than anything are what can make noticeable differences. You can forego all else and be set if you stick with this stuff. I'm not saying you have to forego your GOMAD, Creatine, or multivitamins, but you could do that and you wouldn't be any worse off. 

• Upvote 10

Alexander Egebak

I used to be heavy into supplements, antioxidants, and the whole notion of pills, potions, and so on. But frankly, there are five factors that help most:

1. Hard, intelligent, consistent work in the gym and soft tissue work/stretching on your body

2. Sleep (in the form of naps and shut-eye before 11 pm most nights, if you can cut it)

3. Water intake and minerals (I mean here salt and magnesium; CALM and a little Himalayan salt [1/4tsp] taken separately in a glass of water once or twice a day can do wonders for rehydration)

4. Vegetables (the more they are varied the better) and fruit (if you follow number 2 and get enough of these then caffeine won't really be necessary; optional, sure)

5. Macronutrients: protein, carbohydrates, fats (break these up however you like -- I hear there's a nutrition course or something that people have been THRIVing on  ;) )

Beyond that, all I would really recommend if one wanted are:

- a sustainably harvested fish oil (this is if you don't eat much fish; if you do eat much fish then taking this would be redundant);

- vitamin D3, if you live anywhere that experiences consistent overcast skies (so, not Denver or Honolulu) (there is countless research on why vitamin D3 is good for you and why most people need it);

- and a probiotic with at least 10 billion strands (helps with upset stomach and there's consistently more research coming out about its immune support and for overall health) 

- I also have a vegetable powder I put in some smoothies I make, but this is personal preference and simply because sometimes I don't want to make breakfast or have time to do so. (I throw what would amount to a kale salad with fruit and nut butter into a blender along with some of these vegetable powders and call it a wrap).

I've experimented with a lot of supplements and what I've found is that these more than anything are what can make noticeable differences. You can forego all else and be set if you stick with this stuff. I'm not saying you have to forego your GOMAD, Creatine, or multivitamins, but you could do that and you wouldn't be any worse off. 

That is a quality post!

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks. It's been a few years of refining what works, what is actually needed, and what is largely BS and effective marketing. Case in point of why I've come to gymnastic bodies. Not sure I need Thrive myself given that I've put myself through the ringer of testing stuff out -- being ketogenic and also trying gluten free suck, just in case anyone is wondering. But I've got it pretty much figured out. Just have to remember to eat when my grad school earnings can afford it.

Matthew Jefferys

3. Water intake and minerals (I mean here salt and magnesium; CALM and a little Himalayan salt [1/4tsp] taken 

Why Himalayan salt, specifically? And why the gluten-free diet?

If it's cheaper for some reason, then it might just be worth continuing it, but there is preliminary research to suggest that various iron salts, like the iron oxide (Fe2O3) that makes Himalayan salt pink, can damage the digestive system: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340385/

The study focuses on Fe(II), whereas most of the iron in Himalayan salt is in the Fe(III) state, so there might be nothing to worry about, but it's worth a thought. And if it is more expensive, you might want to reassess why you bought it in the first place. It having a special colour doesn't make it better than regular halite (NaCl).

EDIT: I'm basing my assumption that the iron in the salt is in the Fe(III) state simply judging by it's colour. I may be very wrong. Some often erroneously think that ferric/ferrous oxides aren't water soluble, so they won't form a solution in the gut. While that is true, they do readily dissolve in strong acids, which includes hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

^ You can change it with sea salt. :)
I also take Himalayan salted water, when I don't have it, I put some sea salt. I just don't like regular table salt because of its taste.

What I found the best for me is this: eating tons of fruits, vegetables and berries, drinking cold salted water with some squeezed lemon, grapefruit or orange in it and eating a lot of various natural foods (the word organic is still in fashion I guess), and as much sleep as I can afford to have.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Mercurium, I don't know. I'm not here to nitpick about details either unfortunately. Maybe use kosher salt, or sea salt. The fact is a little salt in water can help with rehydration was really my main point, along with the other four main pieces. Dissecting the minutaie of diet and nutrition is what got me into trouble regarding supplements and supplementation of my diet. So, I'm not really going to go back down that route. To answer your question though, from what I've come to understand himalayan pink salt has a higher mineral count than simple table salt. For that reason I'll throw a pinch in a glass of water once or twice a day. Fair? Now to focus on points 1, 4, and 5 of what I wrote.

• Upvote 2

Matthew Jefferys

Mercurium, I don't know. I'm not here to nitpick about details either unfortunately. Maybe use kosher salt, or sea salt. The fact is a little salt in water can help with rehydration was really my main point, along with the other four main pieces. Dissecting the minutaie of diet and nutrition is what got me into trouble regarding supplements and supplementation of my diet. So, I'm not really going to go back down that route. To answer your question though, from what I've come to understand himalayan pink salt has a higher mineral count than simple table salt. For that reason I'll throw a pinch in a glass of water once or twice a day. Fair? Now to focus on points 1, 4, and 5 of what I wrote.

I don't think you got into trouble because you were concerned with small details, you just didn't have the correct information at your disposal. In any case, I just thought you'd want to know about the potential damage you could be doing to your digestive system. It's probably nothing. Feel free to ignore me  :) 

No, Himalayan salt is really just iron oxide and polyhalite. Otherwise, the mineral content is roughly the same as sea or table salt. Though yes, sodium does assist with hydration, as it allows water uptake into the cells. Try potassium chloride as well if you get the chance (though the amount should be small).

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Actually small details, in the sense that x is better than y so I have to get x, even though it's only marginally better than y is what I mean. At a certain point everything and anything is dangerous and our likelihood of living forever is nil, so debating which option is best and by how much is not that important once you factor for all the things I mentioned already.

• Upvote 4

Matthew Jefferys

If that's what you mean by small details, I think regular halite might be best then (if it's cheaper) because the small detail of it being pink or coming from the Himalayas isn't worth the money. Is that what you mean? I just don't understand why Himalayan salt is a thing  :huh: In other words, if the different salts have only such a slight difference between them, why pick the (more expensive; I'm assuming) one?

Mercurium,

Last weekend I, along with a buddy, hiked a boreal forest to hunt Chaga mushroom, one of the highest antioxidant foods. Yes, it was cold.... well below 0 degrees, but well worth it for the harvest.

The times spent outside searching for your own local "suppliments", or foods, with others is very enjoyable.

I recommend getting outside, hunting or foraging your own suppliments, rather than nit picking someone's table salt they may happen to have in their pantry.

Ryan AKA: The Revenant (by Jeff;-)

• Upvote 3

Ryan, 

Your the real deal. Maybe at some point in the near future you can share some lessons learned from your experience with this type of stuff and offer up a few suggestions for people to start with who are looking to get into this type of stuff? 

• Upvote 2

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ryan, you harvest your own supplements? As per other posts, it's clear that you also make your own foods, you do F7 three days a week, and, as I recall, you had a newborn baby a few months ago?!? Like seriously, who the hell are you? You're making me question my own capabilities. Jeff was right, you are Hugh Glass.

• Upvote 3

Travis Widmann

Mercurium, when the argument is salt vs. salt, who cares?

Ryan, now I'm imagining you crawling through the mud and screaming like Leo. "AAAGGHaaaggAAGGHHG-- oh, I found one!"

• Upvote 3

Jeff - Yes, good idea! I will be teaching a class on the basics regarding this in a couple months... will try to put something together here for those interested. It is very rewarding.

Daniel - Ya, I`m working on the Hugh Glass beard ;-)

Trw - I like it; however, the only crawling and screaming I've been doing lately is during Coach's movement course. Its hard!

Ryan

• Upvote 4

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ryan have you ever look into "rewilding"? It's way left and beyond the scope of this forum or GB in general but Daniel Vitalis is into all of that and his podcast might pique your fancy. Also, I'd be interested in whatever you end up putting together in a few months' time.

Jeff - Yes, good idea! I will be teaching a class on the basics regarding this in a couple months... will try to put something together here for those interested. It is very rewarding.

I imagine it is. I'd be another one that finds that interesting.

• Upvote 1

... the only crawling and screaming I've been doing lately is during Coach's movement course. Its hard! ...

:icon_twisted:  

Thank you, Ryan!  That brought a smile to my face in the midst of a paperwork filled morning.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Well, you are very welcome Coach; Your courses have brought many hard working groans but mostly smiles for me and my family throughout the last year, so thank you.

Daniel - yes I have heard of him only as he was mentioned a little bit through Arthur Haines. Arthur Haines is one of the most intelligent authors in wild foods and botany. Arthur's skills guide books as well as the extremely comprehensive text book/manual for identification are in my library. These and others will be discussed in more detail in the reference section of the getting started foraging series I will eventually get to in a new thread.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah theyve interviewed each other extensively. Far afield from the forums focus, but if youre into that realm it's worth a look which you've already done.

Thank you Ryan for the inspiration. I remember I laughed when you said in one of those boring vegan discussions that all that blah blah blah about food was leaving you hungry and that you went for a piece of venison jerky  :D  :D  :D , maybe you´ve got Bambi´s power in your veins ;) , it´s so healthy and more DHA than lots of fish.

I wish I could have that lifestyle but it´s not something feasible here in Japan (maybe if I was back in Brazil :( ). Maybe the only region that still has some wild nature is in Hokkaido, by the way, from where I order some venison sometimes, that´s all I can do, unfortunately :P

• Upvote 1

Romulo - yes, that's great you are able to get a hold of some venison. That made up the majority of my lunches last week in my current meal plan. Nice reminder about DHA!
You inspired me to look at some of the research again and it is comparable to some nice fish. Also, I know you lightly mentioned the word power regarding this food. It did remind me of the feeling that occurs with these type of meals, however. It is a strong, humbling feeling that comes when the food, either plant or animal, was once seen in its living state and habitat, with the entire physical processing completed by your own doing, all the way to the plate. Talk about palate fatigue not being an issue; not even on the radar.
Thanks again Romulo, this is all getting me very excited about the new thread on foraging I will be starting. I will hope to hear more about your region and your experiences on that thread! I have an interest in learning from others on this awesome forum, about highly dense, especially wild foods in other regions around the world that I have not heard of yet. I hope multiregional wild food examples will be a strong part of the foraging thread.
I would believe there is something out there, even if it is little, for everyone to find.
Even if its a 50 pound Javelina ;)
Ryan

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Matthew Jefferys

Mercurium,

Last weekend I, along with a buddy, hiked a boreal forest to hunt Chaga mushroom, one of the highest antioxidant foods. Yes, it was cold.... well below 0 degrees, but well worth it for the harvest.

The times spent outside searching for your own local "suppliments", or foods, with others is very enjoyable.

I recommend getting outside, hunting or foraging your own suppliments, rather than nit picking someone's table salt they may happen to have in their pantry.

Ryan AKA: The Revenant (by Jeff;-)

There isn't enough evidence for the supposed health benefits of antioxidants to be doing that. You should be foraging for that kind of fungi for other reasons, logically.

I'm not nitpicking; I'm asking why someone has chosen something because of a small detail, while also eschewing things that are only 'slightly different' to the more prosaic alternative. It's paradoxical/hypocritical and confusing. I am genuinely and uncritically asking why, because I can't fathom such a decision.  :) 

I'm not the kind to do that; statistics show that people who do that are at a higher risk of poisoning themselves and I find myself being quite risk averse. To each their own  :)

Matthew Jefferys

Mercurium, when the argument is salt vs. salt, who cares?

That's exactly my point; glad you're on board  ;) The person I'm replying to seems to think that a specific salt is better, but criticises people for caring over small details. Can you see why that is contradictory? 

Matthew Jefferys

For you, Ryan Bailey: http://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/scientists-bust-the-antioxidant-myth-1694873

TL;DR 
Scientists have discovered that antioxidants do not decrease oxidative damage, nor do they significantly increase lifespan. In some cases they can decrease lifespan and promote the spread of cancer.

See what I mean by not enough research? Companies have jumped on the 'superfood' and 'antioxidant' bandwagon because it makes money, not because it's a real thing  :wacko:

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.