Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does this mean? Popping Sound in abdomen in L sit.

Ali Dawi

I used to be able to do L-Sits easily. But after stopping all forms of workout for a while I tried to do an L-Sit again recently. When I did it somewhere in my lower abdomen (between my pelvic region and lowest ab) I heard and felt a pop. There was no pain but it felt like something happened in that area. I then did it again after a few weeks and the same thing happened.

What does this mean? Do I have to work my way up to doing the L-Sit? Or is there something wrong with my lower abdomen?

Just to be completely clear, there has been no pain or other sign of anything unusual other than the pop?

Kristiyan Donchev

I remember that happening to me a couple of years ago, when I trained L and hanging leg lifts. Same thing, it pops, but it doesn't hurt. It goes away with time if you ask me, same as cramps. So far no hernia.

Just to be completely clear, there has been no pain or other sign of anything unusual other than the pop?

Not that I can see or feel. Maybe it's because I gained weight and stopped training? Maybe because I'm inflexible?

Mark Collins

Usually when things pop in the abdomen it will be a hernia or lead to one. I would go to a doctor too check if you have a hernia. If not begin exercising at an easier level to build the abdominal up.

Through the day are you walking around with the abdominals held tight? When people over contract their abs they often get hernias.the increased pressure has to go somewhere.

The other thing to check is your spinal rotation and shoulder mobility. The worse they are the more load is placed through the abdomen in a bad way.

Coach has referred to people getting too strong for their mobility and connective tissue and tearing their the body apart.

• Upvote 1

I would agree with Mark that popping noises in the abdomen could be a hernia or at least a weakenimg developing im the abdominal wall. Front supports are an excellent way to strengthen the abs with less risk of over pressurising the abdomen.

• Upvote 3

Kevin Conley

There are no good consistent studies showing you can prevent hernias with strengthening muscles. Hernias go through the fascia that is in between muscles, is largely genetically determined, and gets weaker as we age. I am not saying "don't strengthen" your abdominals. Yet, don't expect that to stop your hernia.

Go to a doctor and see what they say. If not, don't worry about if someday it will become a hernia or not. If it doesn't you wasted energy worrying. If it does, address it then as you likely were going to address is sooner or later.

Sounds like it could be internal snapping hip. Hard to say. I don't think there is enough information to jump on the hernia trainspotters heavily. A lot of people get a clicking, popping, or snapping usually deep in the hip usually within inches of the spine or SI joint. This can even be SI related, but I usually find it to be related to iliopsias. Just a thought. Again, there isn't enough information to really give a firm opinion.

Chris Volkert

Quick background on me, I do clinical rehab for the body. What you are describing sounds like your thorcic spine is out of alignment. It's really common if you strop training for an extended period of time. As your brace your core, you are essentially 'popping' things back into place. This is like soil erosion. The wear and tear is minimal, until suddenly a major event happens. Regress to an easier exercise that doesn't cause the popping, and then build up from there.

• Upvote 1

Quick background on me, I do clinical rehab for the body. What you are describing sounds like your thorcic spine is out of alignment. It's really common if you strop training for an extended period of time. As your brace your core, you are essentially 'popping' things back into place. This is like soil erosion. The wear and tear is minimal, until suddenly a major event happens. Regress to an easier exercise that doesn't cause the popping, and then build up from there.

I've been told that a part of my lumbar spine has shifted out of place. Could that be the reason?

I have to mention that I've had this popping once before this time and it was about a year or two ago and still no sign of hernia.

Chris Volkert

I've been told that a part of my lumbar spine has shifted out of place. Could that be the reason?

I would argue yes. Think of the leaning tower of Pisa. It's foundation is crooked, and so everything else above the foundation is out of place. If your lumbar spine is crooked, or unaligned, the rest of your spine is stacked over a crooked base.

I would argue yes. Think of the leaning tower of Pisa. It's foundation is crooked, and so everything else above the foundation is out of place. If your lumbar spine is crooked, or unaligned, the rest of your spine is stacked over a crooked base.

Is there anything you suggest I'd do to help realign or at least enhance my spine? Or do you recommend that I visit a physiotherapist?

Sounds like it could be internal snapping hip. Hard to say. I don't think there is enough information to jump on the hernia trainspotters heavily. A lot of people get a clicking, popping, or snapping usually deep in the hip usually within inches of the spine or SI joint. This can even be SI related, but I usually find it to be related to iliopsias. Just a thought. Again, there isn't enough information to really give a firm opinion.

What information do you need to help narrow this down?

edit: oops, sorry for the double post. Forum boards usually combine posts that are a few seconds apart.

A good start would be more specific information about what movements cause this. For example, many find that they get that snapping sensation when flexing the hip especially with the lumbar spin extended as you might see in lying leg lifts.

Frequency. How often does this occur? Rarely? With every repetition of an offending movement? Once or twice at the beginning of an offending movements but not present later on?

Past history of trauma? Any other descriptions of sensation? Any lingering sensations? Any mobility issues?

The more information the better, but there is a good chance that no one will be able to nail this down for you on an Internet forum. If you are concerned, seeing a doctor could be helpful.

PS

Please excuse the bad grammar and odd wording in my previous post. I can only assume that I wrote that after taking a sleeping pill one night.

A good start would be more specific information about what movements cause this. For example, many find that they get that snapping sensation when flexing the hip especially with the lumbar spin extended as you might see in lying leg lifts.

Frequency. How often does this occur? Rarely? With every repetition of an offending movement? Once or twice at the beginning of an offending movements but not present later on?

Past history of trauma? Any other descriptions of sensation? Any lingering sensations? Any mobility issues?

The more information the better, but there is a good chance that no one will be able to nail this down for you on an Internet forum. If you are concerned, seeing a doctor could be helpful.

PS

Please excuse the bad grammar and odd wording in my previous post. I can only assume that I wrote that after taking a sleeping pill one night.

As far as I tried, only normal L-sits cause this (normal floor L-sits and hanging L-sits). I feel it maybe 1 second in the static position. After it pops it basically goes away and I can still stay in the L-sit position but I usually stop because I'm afraid if I stay in that position something might happen.

I've done a hernia surgery when I was 5-6? Something like that. I am 19 right now so it's been a long time. And as I said before, a part of my lumbar spine has shifted out of place. Other than that all I can add is that I am a bit stiff in the hip area. The left side of my lower body is more flexible than my right.

• 1 month later...
Matthew Jefferys

What causes a soft popping feeling where the abdominals attach at the ribs? It feels like my abs are sliding over the bottom of my costals and making a squelching/popping sound (it's more of a feeling, as the sound is very, very difficult to hear). It's only when I enter maximum spinal anterior flexion or I perform stomach vacuums.