Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should Presses be worked everyday?

Annika Hüpfel

Annika Hüpfel

I want to know if Press Handstands should be worked everyday and how?

Would it be best to do a full press handstand workout everyday or split it up?

I am asking because I will start coaching girls in acrobatic gymnastics in September.
They all have their press handstand, some better some not so good, but most of them can do 3 straddle presses in a row as well as standing pike presses and one pike press from L Sit on parallettes/hands.
I need to make a strength and flexibility plan for them in the first hour of their practice.  They train 6 days a week, 2 hrs at a time.

First 15 minutes is Warm-Up (Running, Arm Cirles,..)
Then 30 minutes of strength.
I do Arms Monday+Thursday, Legs Tuesday+Friday and Core Wednesday+Saturday.
Just regular things (pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, handstand push-ups, leg lifts, hollow rocks, single leg squats, jumps,...)
Then 15 minutes stretch.
The second hour is skill and partner work.

So I have 15 minutes left to train press handstands with them and I would like to do it right after warm-up before strength training.

But I don’t know how it would be best? Splitting it up? Everything in one go?

Monday+Thursday: compression work for 20 mins (V-Sits, Sitting leg Lifts,...)
Tuesday+Friday: Pike Presses in different variations (standing, from L, from V)
Wednesday+Saturday: straddle presses in different variations (standing, sitting, hands wide and narrow)

What would be better? And why? I hope you can help me, I really wanna be a good coach :)

Alessandro Mainente

If you have the conditioning for doing it you can. if not you can experiment less progress.

Annika Hüpfel

If you have the conditioning for doing it you can. if not you can experiment less progress.

Thanks for your answer but I don't understand what you mean??

Alessandro Mainente

If you have low conditioning you tend to fall into overtraining. If you have approximately 1 minute free hs you are welcome to increase the frequency.

Annika Hüpfel

If you have low conditioning you tend to fall into overtraining. If you have approximately 1 minute free hs you are welcome to increase the frequency.

Oh, okay, thank you!

No, I think they are pretty well conditioned.

I just wanted to know if it would be more beneficial to do a little of everything everyday or focus on one but split it up?

Like either

5 Standing Straddle Presses

5 Standing Pike Presses

5 Sitting Straddle Presses

5 Presses from L Sit

5 Presses from V Sit

Compression Work

everyday

or as I said above, doing one day Straddle Presses (10 Standing, 10 from Straddle L hands narrow, 10 from Straddle L normal), one day Pike Presses (10 Standing, 10 from L Sit, 10 from V Sit) and one day Compression (totally different stuff), but therefore more intense.

What is better?

• Upvote 1

If they are conditioned enough, I would have them do the entire press series to whatever progression they can do.

Except it might be 10 repetitions. Consecutively.

If they are learning a new progression, I prefer they do it before general strength (pullups, dips, squats, situps, etc).

OTOH, a gymnast and acrobat pretty much should be able to do handstand work at the beginning, middle and end of training besides side stations. This might not be applicable with unseasoned and beginner/low intermediate gymnasts/acrobats. However, I am guessing by the fact they all standing presses, more or less, and train 6x/week for 2hours that they are of intermediate level to advanced intermediate. Offhand, I don't know how much acrobats train compared to artistic gymnasts though.

Annika Hüpfel

If they are conditioned enough, I would have them do the entire press series to whatever progression they can do.

Except it might be 10 repetitions. Consecutively.

If they are learning a new progression, I prefer they do it before general strength (pullups, dips, squats, situps, etc).

OTOH, a gymnast and acrobat pretty much should be able to do handstand work at the beginning, middle and end of training besides side stations. This might not be applicable with unseasoned and beginner/low intermediate gymnasts/acrobats. However, I am guessing by the fact they all standing presses, more or less, and train 6x/week for 2hours that they are of intermediate level to advanced intermediate. Offhand, I don't know how much acrobats train compared to artistic gymnasts though.

Thanks a ton, BlairBob!

Compared to artistic, it is less tumbling dominant. We just don't work tumbling nearly as intense as in artistic. Also no bars, so this takes off a lot of work, also. But "physical prep"-wise, it is the same.

As I said, the second hour is skill work (means partner work and basic tumbling).

I made a test today, all girls could do at least two perfect straddle press handstands from straddle L with completely straight arms, most could do 3-5 in a row. Pike Presses are also no problem.

Would you go for the splitting part (splitting straddle, pike and compression but therefore more intense) or all in one but not so many reps of each?

I know a guy in Seattle who is an aspiring handbalancer. Right now he's working on solidifying his one arm HS with legs together and close straddle one arm HS. From what we talked, he basically does all the presses everyday up to the progression he's on as just basic rudimentary practice.

Artistic gymnasts I've trained basically do the same. Of course, I had 3-4hours instead of 2hours which was nice even if there were more events. They pretty much always did presses and compression work though the girls did not do as much compression work as the boys I trained (this was out of my hands at one gym when I was just an assistant with one group where as other groups I was head coach they did it all).

But a lot of this also will get down to how much time you have available. 

It would be great if they could do all of it everyday but if it's a physical impossibility because of time constraints, divy it up or reduce the volume of the presses to compromise and still get compression work in. 

You might also be able to set up compression work as side stations but I'm not really sure how partner acrobat training is managed and if it's a possibility. It's very easy to set up a side station in artistic on events as a break. 

With 2hours, you really have to be efficient and obviously you still need time to get partner training done which I imagine is quite a high level skill that takes time and coordination. 

• 3 weeks later...
Ryan Hutchins

Its funny because girls require more all around physical preparation than boys do IMO. Between dance, rhythm, flexibility, strength, raw vertical jump, and active flexibility our job as coaches is not an easy one. I have my girls do 5 days of Press HS work. The skill is so versatile and necessary that i like it everyday. if you notice that they are not making progress or suffering from overtraining then be sure to back off the throttle. I wouldn't worry about the template you have as long as you are refining it and not falling into any kind of a rut. They will get stronger as long as they are on a progressive program. Just monitor it and keep them motivated. I hope this helps.

• Upvote 1