Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Active Flexibility for HLL

Fady Georgi

Hi,

I decided to include HLL in my training routine, I'm currently able to do HLL half, I'm using a strict form doing exercise using no momentum, however I'm not feeling I'm having much muscular challenge making exercise, I'm feeling more it's challenging my active flexibility as for increasing ROM. for my current strength level I can hold advanced tucked FL for +30s, and I can hold 1 legged version of FL for +10s. So my question is shall I continue working working HLL half as it is and focus on increasing ROM by time, or I shall add ankle weights to make exercise more challenging, also does passive stretching for back and hips will be useful in building HLL.

Thanks to advice !

Cheers

Fady

Nick Van Bockxmeer

obviously the core strength requirements for front levers and HLL are very different things.

I'm feeling more it's challenging my active flexibility as for increasing ROM.

That's probably true, however its important that you do develop the extra ROM. I would work full ROM before adding weights. You could try using momentum to get higher and then doing slow negatives as well as increasing you static height.

does passive stretching for back and hips will be useful in building HLL

Yes and no. if you can't passively go into a closed pike, you won't be able to do it actively, but you won't build the strength this way. You can try doing pike stretches where you contract your quads and hip flexors, so your muscles get used to contracting at shorter lengths, it might make it a bit less of a shock.

Focus on active compression.

hands at knees, straight legs pull them to your face... the move them out as you get better

stretch your hammies, contract your hip flexors and abs