Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Dips - Turnout help

Alexander Castiglione

Alexander Castiglione

Hey Everyone, 

So I've been messing around with some progressions, and I've been struggling with ring dips. Despite being able to bang out 30-40+ without the turnout (I can almost hear coach laughing since CrossFit does "fake ring dips," I now see exactly what he meant. 

That being said, I've been struggling with the turnout portion. I can do it, but it's not as smooth as it should be, and under fatigue, it's ugly. 

One thought I had was to do something like tabata holds in the turnout position, but other than that, I'm out of ideas for how to get stronger in the turnout position. 

Any help or ideas, greatly appreciated. 

Note: Korean dips, russian dips, etc, I have them all. "Real" ring dips seem to be eluding me though. 

Thanks up front! 

Train correct ring support.

Start with support on p/dip bars for time, gradually condition the assorted biceps and elbow joints to the load, and in due course move to the unstable rings.

Shorter or flat ring straps are easier. Competition long rings are nuts and very unstable

• Upvote 3

Alexander Castiglione

Support on the dip bars meaning with the turnout of the shoulders? Not just extension? I'd need some pretty close dip bars for this then I assume.