Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eggs everyday

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Is it a bad thing? Eggs are great and I love them, but could eating them every morning have some negative effect on my cholesterol levels (or others "side effects", for example zits, too much of some nutrition etc.)?

I know it has probably been discussed before, but the internet is a jungle about these kind of stuff! Thanks for answering:)

Kasper Stangerup

It's almost impossible to make statistically valid studies on the long term effects of any kind of diet, since you can't rule out that correlated parameters are the real causes for said effects. In the short term you can of course set up test and control groups and so on. 

There are probably many studies and even more opinions on whether eggs are good or bad, I'm just saying that none of them are likely to be based on valid statistical methods (unless they concern short term effects).

Ronnicky Roy

I suspect it is a very individual process. I experimented with eggs everyday. If it wasn't eggs in my breakfast, then it would be 3 raw eggs in my cup of orange juice for a natural protein drink. Never experienced zits or any issues like you mention. I was offsetting the extra protein, with eating a bit more veggies than I normally did tho.

You can always give it a shot for 1 week to see how your body handles it. With nutrition, results should appear rather quickly. First time I ever went on a strict diet, I lost 10 pounds in week one because my body dumped all of the crap in my system. Any minor changes to my diet from that point on I experienced immediately. Just eat meats/veggies/rice + drink just water for 1 week. Then make changes to your diet from there. Your body will tell you what it likes and what it doesn't like asap.

Hi Edoardo,

If consuming a large amount of eggs (I personally go through about 18 per week), then be sure they are good quality. In the States, "pastured" is a good label to look for, or better yet, just buy them directly from a farmer who you trust and whose farm you've visited.

Best,

Chris

Jared Birbeck

I eat eggs every day. usually around 3 a day but at times up to 6. form depends on how much time I have. I haven't noticed any side effects.

Nicholas Sortino

Getting the FDA to admit is was wrong for a really long time is pretty big deal.  That same panel also suggested that a high PUFA diet may be dangerous, which goes directly against tons of agribusiness. 

Either way, most dietary studies are shit.  It's nearly impossible to do long term studies in clinical conditions which an appreciable sample size.  And just because a study was funded by an interest group doesn't automatically discount it.  Just like not all "unbiased" studies are worthwhile. 

As an aside, the USDA and FDA are two different entities. 

• Upvote 1

Nicholas Sortino

Let's change the talking point a little then.  Is high cholesterol even bad?  Is low cholesterol good?  Does cholesterol as a number really matter without breaking it down?  Is High LDL even necessarily a bad thing?  If we want to assume so, what type of cholesterol do eggs raise?

http://phys.org/news/2010-09-high-cholesterol-longevity.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21296318

http://thescipub.com/abstract/10.3844/ojbsci.2014.167.169

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12860577?ordinalpos=10&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15450039?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

And plenty more studies along the same lines.  I worry more about where my eggs come from than if I'm eating them too frequently

• Upvote 1

It's counterproductive to talk just about one nutrient of eggs... You don't just eat the Cholesterol, but a lot of good things plus the saturated fats, Cholines, different carcinogens and so on... The question should be: do the benefits outweigh the risks?

I'm no expert, but this guy is and makes some points (and takes in account thousands of studies): nutritionfacts.org (just search for eggs in the search bar)

• 3 weeks later...
Bill Köhntopp

I really try to ignore all of those studies about eggs, i just try to use my own head and this means for me, evolution is how it is and our ancestors ate many eggs, because they were easy to get from some wildbirds and later from farms.

Our ancestors moved way more than we do today. So for me it says, if you are an active and healthy person you can eat eggs whenever you want. Here in Germany there is also this cholesterin is evil - thinking, but i eat 2-3 eggs every day, no problems :)

Just my 2cents, forget about studies.

Even from the standpoint of evolution you won't get a good answer... Evolution doesn't care wether you die of heart disease or diabetes at age 50 ;-)

Living an active lifestyle is much more forgiving towards bad eating habits - that's where I agree with you :)

But is it optimal or at least healthy in the long run? Science seems to say no...

Btw. Science doesn't contradict itself, as many seem to think.

Just take more of a birds perspective look around the studies and you'll notice, the big picture is pretty solid ;)

Greetings from Germany :)

Bill Köhntopp

dont forget that evolution is the reason we are getting older than 30 years, because its evolution. The point of reproduction is of course the first thing that comes into mind, but do not reduce evolution to this, there s more to it, even when reaching the higher ages!

And i'm a fan of evolution when people trying to eat as much eggs as they can(without listening to themselves) to prove me wrong get their desired result :D

Angelos papamichail

personall experience, i ate about 600 whole eggs, over 50% of them from local friend farmers or mine, in 4 months, i got blood tests on purpose to see, if they raised my cholestorol,  the doctors thought i would die :P , bloodtests came out i was in the very normal average

about 160.

2/3 of cholesterol is produced by the body,  so from my side of view if your body for some reason needs more u shall have more than normal. 

My personal view on the subject is eat as many as u want BUT make sure u take at least 2 days off every week, and always eat them with something green cause otherwise u ll wont absorb many things plus they raise the body toxins .

Bill Köhntopp

I really try to ignore all those studies about seatbelts... Here in Canada there is this perception that not wearing a seatbelt is evil - thinking, but I never wear a seat belt every day, no problems

;)

See!

Bill Köhntopp

If by "evolution", you mean "medical science"...

what brought us medical science? yes you re damned right, our brains, that grow through evolution :-P 

so whats your point? :)

• Upvote 1

Angelos papamichail

No it was the total, i guess if LDL was off the doctor would tell me to be carefull, instead he said that they seamed average

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.