Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tendon response to loading

Mark Collins

Mark Collins

I thought this abstract would be helpful in understanding why we can't train to max daily. Tendon degradation peaks before growth, so if you are continually pushing the limits daily you are always in a state of more damage than strengthening. Usually by 48hrs post exercise stimulus you have more synthesis of the tendon. It's like your bank balance going up rather down.

"Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010 May;6(5):262-8. doi: 10.1038/nrrheum.2010.43. Epub 2010 Mar 23.

The pathogenesis of tendinopathy: balancing the response to loading.

Magnusson SP1, Langberg H, Kjaer M.

Author information

Abstract

Tendons are designed to withstand considerable loads. Mechanical loading of tendon tissue results in upregulation of collagen expression and increased synthesis of collagen protein, the extent of which is probably regulated by the strain experienced by the resident fibroblasts (tenocytes). This increase in collagen formation peaks around 24 h after exercise and remains elevated for about 3 days. The degradation of collagen proteins also rises after exercise, but seems to peak earlier than the synthesis. Despite the ability of tendons to adapt to loading, repetitive use often results in injuries, such as tendinopathy, which is characterized by pain during activity, localized tenderness upon palpation, swelling and impaired performance. Tendon histological changes include reduced numbers and rounding of fibroblasts, increased content of proteoglycans, glycosaminoglycans and water, hypervascularization and disorganized collagen fibrils. At the molecular level, the levels of messenger RNA for type I and III collagens, proteoglycans, angiogenic factors, stress and regenerative proteins and proteolytic enzymes are increased. Tendon microrupture and material fatigue have been suggested as possible injury mechanisms, thus implying that one or more 'weak links' are present in the structure. Understanding how tendon tissue adapts to mechanical loading will help to unravel the pathogenesis of tendinopathy.

• Upvote 26

Mark Collins

So training F7 x3 and H1 x2 a week is baddie ?

Not necessarily. If we follow Coach's guidelines of progressing with the template and not working through bad pain there will be no problem. If you start to feel bad pain in the tendons you will know mechanically you are going to be in a state of more degradation than synthesis. The simple remedy is take a couple of days off to let the synthesis be greater than the degradation.

The Foundation and Handstand programs require perfect form, so when the form breaks the set is stopped. So we are not hammering our body to the point where the tendons are getting injured. This is why we can still follow a four day template safely. Now if you work so intense your form breaks and keep going you run the risk of injury. Do this 4-5 times a week and it is only a matter of time before you get injured.

• Upvote 7

Mouclier Victor

mark collins, a couple of days off only ? doesn't the tendons needs a lot more time to recover fully from strain ?

Ben Shulman

Very interesting. Do you think this suggests that three day's rest is optimal after near-max output training?

Complete rest  and immobility is probably unnecessary (and unhelpful), but three days of avoiding high output/exertion seems like what is needed for optimal tendon adaptation?

• Upvote 1

Charlie Martin

Very interesting. Do you think this suggests that three day's rest is optimal after near-max output training?

Complete rest  and immobility is probably unnecessary (and unhelpful), but three days of avoiding high output/exertion seems like what is needed for optimal tendon adaptation?

I see where you're coming from. However I remember Coach stating on Reddit that his student, Allan, trained M, W, Fr twice a day with 1 long workout on Sat, whereas there was no contact on Tues, Thurs and Sun. He said this allowed Allan to achieve world class strength levels very quickly...

Doug Grainger

but most of us here are not elite athletes whose life revolves around training and recovering from training.

• Upvote 3

Mark Collins

There are people whose tendon synthesis would be greater than degradation earlier than the average. I suspect these are the people who can get away with more frequent training. All of this is load dependant. So if you looked at those who train more often I would expect they are no where near their maximum capability of the tendon. I am sure this is why Coach focuses on such a high level of strength and conditioning. This allows you to cope with the skills training without going past the load capability of the muscle and connective tissue.

I think the take home point is if you are feeling tendon pain look at your schedule and see if you either training too much, too hard or both.

• Upvote 5

Jon Douglas

I see where you're coming from. However I remember Coach stating on Reddit that his student, Allan, trained M, W, Fr twice a day with 1 long workout on Sat, whereas there was no contact on Tues, Thurs and Sun. He said this allowed Allan to achieve world class strength levels very quickly...

Just to remaind you,Coach did *not* say 'very quickly'. He stated that this was Allan's most productive schedule.Please remember that Allan was picked as a potential future star in training at age 6, and has taken more than a decade to achieve the level / volume of training he is currently capable of :)Ambition is great, but perspective too!

• Upvote 2

Charlie Martin

Just to remaind you, Coach did *not* say 'very quickly'. He stated that this was Allan's most productive schedule. Please remember that Allan was picked as a potential future star in training at age 6, and has taken more than a decade to achieve the level / volume of training he is currently capable of :) Ambition is great, but perspective too!

Ahh that makes more sense.

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic