Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exertion headaches & neck pain

John Koliopoulos

John Koliopoulos

Hey guys,

I wanted to discuss exertion headaches. I've had this occur to me recently while squatting a mild weight of 60kg for 25 reps. After about fifteen reps I began to get this pressure build up in the back of my neck and head, which merged into a significant headache which lasted for hours. My powerlifting buddy supervised my form and noticed the bar was positioned too high.

The next day, I performed the set again, this time with absolute attention to form, however the headaches resumed unfortunately. I have never had this happen in my life before, especially weird to experience this at such a small weight. I have previously deadlifted 200kg and squatted my max without ever having problems.

Has anyone experienced something like this before or got some recommendations?

My breathing during the set was exhale/inhale after each rep. 

Chris Garay

Hi J0X,

Sorry to hear about your exertion headaches and neck pain. I would definitely recommend consulting with medical professional in-person in addition to seeking advice online. Tread carefully in the gym until doing so.

That said, was your prior training sufficient to prepare you for squatting 60 kg for 25 reps? Perhaps these headaches are your body's method of telling you to take more time and gradually build up to this volume. Good luck!

Best,

Chris

Kevin Conley

Could be nothing, or it could be a sign of something serious. We can't tell you. Go to a Dr. if you are concerned.

Edit: Please~.