Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The importance of rest and recovery

Marc Codere Dussault

Marc Codere Dussault

I thought I'd share my experience as it was pretty uplifting for me and I learnt a bit from it.

Three weeks ago I managed to get a horrible stomach flu. Or savage food poisoning, I'll never know.

It left me without any energy whatsoever - I didn't eat for the better part of three days and the full recovery took ten full days. In these 10 days I was only strong enough to fit in one split training session. I did NOTHING , but sleep and rest. 

Something pretty cool came out of it though. I'd been able to do press H, Pike press handstands and could struggle through the lowering phase of the Stalder, but was never even close to going back up.

First day back after the illness (and ten days of not training)....

On my first attempt I knocked out three Stalder presses in a row. Needless to say I was happy and also astonished. I then moved on to parallel bar handstand from L-Sit which I'd never been able to come close to doing. Lo and behold I easily go up, and my L-sit transformed into something much more like a V-sit. As though my compression had also significantly increased.

I think perhaps we are so gung-ho about going hard every day, and gripped by the fear that a few days without training will have us regress by months that we overlook the importance of rest and recovery.

And that's that. :)

• Upvote 2

Itamann Itaman

Sounds like you turned into superman.. I don't know if that you saying it's right but revovery is definietly an important part of training.

Most people focus on the diet and intensity of their workout, that they forget that strength is built through rest and recovery; in other words, sleep or be weak.

• Upvote 2