Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

less sets weighted vs. more sets without added weight

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

For daily press handstand training; would it be better to do less sets but with weights or more sets without?

I want to make up a routine for myself and don't know what is better:

20 standing straddle presses
20 standing pike presses
20 L-Sit to Handstand
20 Straddle L to Handstand 

or 

10 standing straddle presses with ankle weights (2.5lbs per leg)
10 standing pike presses with ankle weights
10 L-Sit to Handstand with ankle weights
10 Straddle L to Handstand with ankle weights

And in general; do you think this is enough or should I do more daily?

Thanks

Jon Douglas

You finished your assignment here? :)https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18052-press-handstands-in-a-row/?p=170246

In six months I would expect you to be closer to 10 than 5. ;)

At your current strength level I would assign you 10 total presses. Only good reps count. And at least one of your turns must be two presses in a row. If you fail to achieve your goal of at least one turn of two presses in a row by the time you reach 10 total presses, then you must double your assignment and continue with singles until you reach 20 reps. If you are at rep 9 and still have not completed a turn of two presses, you must still fight to complete two presses in a row; even though this will put your total over 10 reps to 11 total reps.

Once your assignment has doubled, anytime during the extra 10 reps that you make two presses in a row you may stop the assignment for the day.

I would give you approx 15 minutes to complete the entire press handstand assignment. :icon_twisted:

My own athletes did the following press handstand assignment as a part of their daily warmup. They did 5 planche presses, 5 manna pike presses, and 5 hollowback presses before moving on to their stalder press work (presses beginning and ending from a straddle L). The stalder press assignments for my three top athletes were as follows; one did 30 reps, one did 18 reps and then another did 16/17 reps in a row respectively. If they failed to reach their target number of reps in a single set; then their day's assignment for press handstands was doubled.

You have chosen an excellent goal! The benefits of focused press handstand training for gymnastics work cannot be overstated.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Coach Sommer

For daily press handstand training; would it be better to do less sets but with weights or more sets without?

I want to make up a routine for myself and don't know what is better:

20 standing straddle presses

20 standing pike presses

20 L-Sit to Handstand

20 Straddle L to Handstand 

or 

10 standing straddle presses with ankle weights (2.5lbs per leg)

10 standing pike presses with ankle weights

10 L-Sit to Handstand with ankle weights

10 Straddle L to Handstand with ankle weights

And in general; do you think this is enough or should I do more daily?

Thanks

I think that you need to focus and not get so easily distracted.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2