Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Form check on Wall Walks

Scott Jones

Scott Jones

Hi guys

Can I please get some feedback and advice of my form. My upper body and shoulder mobility is disgraceful due to lack of mobility exercises early on and also a shoulder reconstruction. I would like to do these safely, without doing any damage to myself. Is this form ok to keep working on slowly or is there something I need to change in my technique?

Cheers

Hi guys

Can I please get some feedback and advice of my form. My upper body and shoulder mobility is disgraceful due to lack of mobility exercises early on and also a shoulder reconstruction. I would like to do these safely, without doing any damage to myself. Is this form ok to keep working on slowly or is there something I need to change in my technique?

Cheers

I think you missed to post the video?

I would highly recommend the thoracic bridge course. This has helped me alot.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/

John Kiggundu

Judging from your mobility, or lack thereof, I do not think you are ready to do them on a stall bar.

Start by doing them on a regular wall.

Begin at a distance from the wall that is comfortable for you to descend to the bottom and ascend back up. DO NOT move your feet during this process.

Once you've "mastered" wall walks on a regular wall, and feel comfortable with the move, then it'll be okay to do them on a stall bar.

Scott Jones

Judging from your mobility, or lack thereof, I do not think you are ready to do them on a stall bar.

Start by doing them on a regular wall.

Begin at a distance from the wall that is comfortable for you to descend to the bottom and ascend back up. DO NOT move your feet during this process.

Once you've "mastered" wall walks on a regular wall, and feel comfortable with the move, then it'll be okay to do them on a stall bar.

Thanks for your advice. I didn't realise stall bars were the harder version. Do you think my legs are too far away from the wall or do you think I am just limited by my bad mobility?

Romulo Malta

Can I ask why you consider a wall walk easier than stall bars? For me it's exactly the opposite, I find it much easier and comfortable to use stall bars because you have a better support and the help of your grip. The degree of mobility needed seems to be the same.

Scott Jones

Can I ask why you consider a wall walk easier than stall bars? For me it's exactly the opposite, I find it much easier and comfortable to use stall bars because you have a better support and the help of your grip. The degree of mobility needed seems to be the same.

That was actually my thoughts behind starting them on stall bars. I thought I would have better control of the moment with the increased grip. Wall walks worried me a bit as I thought I might slip and fall on my head due to the lack of mobility and strength in that movement

John Kiggundu

Thanks for your advice. I didn't realise stall bars were the harder version. Do you think my legs are too far away from the wall or do you think I am just limited by my bad mobility?

The most important consideration, r.e. wall walks, is to do them SAFELY.  When I looked at your video I almost winced with pain seeing how your feet kept moving everywhere.

I'd recommend you try to use progressions for wall walks – like we've done for absolutely everything here at GB.

Start by trying to stand two feet from a wall.  Reach back and try a wall walk (with straight arms) until your hands cannot lower any farther.

Then try three feet, and so on, until you get stuck, because your lack of mobility will not allow your hands to go below a certain level.  Always remembering to minimize the bend in your arms.

With time, you'll figure out, intuitively, a safe distance to stand from the wall, while doing this, and of course with time you'll be able to descend all the way to the ground.

This will not come immediately, though. Hence the reason why you should do progressions of these as well.

Scott Jones

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I am unable to afford the stretch series at the moment ( which I obviously need), so I put this on here to get feedback and advice on progressing with this. Watching it again now it's quite embarrassing. My goal is to do them safely so I'll try your what you said Atticus, cheers. I read a post by coach on wall walks and he said to reach back to the wall and walk your feet out. I obviously misinterpreted the directions and went beyond my ability.

Alessandro Mainente

Can i see your bridge? you are flexing a lot the lower back.

• 3 weeks later...

This is basically a bit beyond you right now. 

Do partial reps down to hip level at  most.

The entry is very important, You want both hands to come to the bar simultaneously. And you want to bend back from reaching back with the hands and stretching into the chest. Hips will press forward to counterbalance the weight shift.

As you do you partial rep every time you have both hands on a rung, lift your shoulders and stretch your chest.

How far down you go is not important now, as Alex mentions, it's just going into your lower back, which isn't helpful at this stage.

The Thoracic Bridge course has every thing you need to be able to properly build wall walks up, I highly recommend it for you.

• Upvote 3