Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

prerequisite for starting Movement journey

Xabier Errea Mayo

Xabier Errea Mayo

Hi all,

I've seen it's been discussed that in the meantime the Movement Series comes out (I'm buying it the minute one!) it would be better to start tumbling practices in a proper facility and supervised by someone with experience, a gymnastics coach to say. In that sense I would like to know from the forum experts if any prerequisite is advised for Tumbling, as I started my gymnastics journey 4 months ago and had no gymnastic background whatsoever, so still on early stages of F1

Thanks in advance

Xabier

Alessandro Mainente

NO serious tumbling for beginner aside big tramp and pit until end of F4 for front lever , handstand 1 and single leg squat.

i've seen entire class of adults being introduced to back handspring, front handspring, front and back tuck , roundoff without proper handstand, bridge and proper legs conditioning. usually girls stop the warm up due to knees problems , the other finish the training with lower back pain.

• Upvote 6

Rajesh Bhat

My son experienced what Alessandro mentioned at the gym he once attended. Now he is going through GB and fixing deficiencies :)

Ronnicky Roy

Let me tell you. Having back pain as a young man suuuuucks. You will feel weak, old and fragile. Luckily I don't have that injury anymore. If someone who knows better tells you it ends in backpain. Just listen, you're only as young as your spine

I could be completely wrong here but I thought I read somewhere that the movement series isn't actually tumbling.  It's about.. well... movement.

Ronnicky Roy

There's just ideas floating around. No one really knows. I just assume it is as you say, about overall movement. Some plyometric foot work like senders in a much more complete package and like foundation, will prepare your body to handle tumbling if you wish to in the future.

But again, I really don't know what to expect. Just my assumption. Because Movement 1 has no prerequisites

Ronnicky Roy

The one that really excites me is Hungarian. Because when asked about what it is, coach sad "BadAss". Those are big words coming from that man and I can't wait to find out what's in store

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Sailor Venus

i've seen entire class of adults being introduced to back handspring, front handspring, front and back tuck , roundoff without proper handstand, bridge and proper legs conditioning. usually girls stop the warm up due to knees problems , the other finish the training with lower back pain.

That's what happens when you're missing a strength and conditioning coach. Cartwheels and dive rolls are tumbling skills people can try on their first day. ...Perhaps a front tuck too, hardest move a beginner can learn -  a ton of frustration comes with it too.

This is a lot more common than you think. I seen it too.

Keilani Gutierrez

seeing how foundation goes from soft, medium then hard, i'd probably focus more on simply moving before getting the itch to get too froggy. :)

granted, i'm pretty sure by the time you get your SLS, you'll be able to out jump quite a few folks in the room. that's what i've seen from my experience either strength wise or mobility wise. most can't jump too high from missing that explosive strength nor reach cause they can't bring their legs up(compression or just plain ole full squat mobility).

focusing on just those aspects for now is pretty powerful medicine for the goal you want to achieve. jumping into a foam pit if you can is a LOT of fun tho xD just make sure not to try anything that'll wreck you!

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 11 July 2015 at 7:47 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

NO serious tumbling for beginner aside big tramp and pit until end of F4 for front lever , handstand 1 and single leg squat.

Hmmm

Interesting post. I have been attending a class exactly like this for about a year and have started F1 a few month ago. But the knee thing is interesting. I now have recurring pain in both knees.

What exactly causes this and how best can I mitigate against it (please don't simply reply 'stop')

Back is fine though :-)