Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I supplement my planche training with lateral dumbbell raises?

Charlie Martin

Charlie Martin

Hi there,

I've started to plateau a bit with my planche training and from what I've researched, apparently it's good to change up your workout every so often...???

Anyways, a few planche tutorials on you tube feature guys doing front lateral raises with dumbbells.

As someone who has rarely used weights of any kind and has seen excellent results with bodyweight training alone, I am a bit reluctant to supplement my training with weights, however, if this 'change up' can get me out of this plateau, I'm up for anything.

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations/experience? If using dumbbells is beneficial, would side lateral raises help also? And should I lock out my elbow when doing them so as to mimic the planche (good form with straight arms)?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

John Koliopoulos

There are only two exercises apart from Planche and Planche Pushups themselves I found to be useful, lateral raises dont mimic the planche position and activation well enough in my opinion.

1) Lying on a bench (on your back) in hollow position, press dumbells from a Back Lever position through Maltese to Planche for reps. This does stress the elbow and bicep tendon so dont overdo it.

2) Maltese Box Press. I do these every second planche workout.

Good luck with your training.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Maltese box press emulates the strength effort of a maltese that is done with hands pointed backward. with hands backward the involvement of the chest is superior compared to neutral grip and this is not specific since a beginner should perform planche without fingers pointed backward.

the supplement you can do to increase the planche development is move your ego apart and take the time it needs. foundations have a complete progression to build up a planche with no supplementary exercises.

the youtube tutorial are mediocre.

• Upvote 6

John Koliopoulos

Everything that I do to bolster my planche is always done AFTER my planche work. And really, at this point, it's more just work capacity for traps, serratus and delts. 

Exactly the same for me. I always do specific Planche statics first, then planche push ups. Afterwards some supplementary excercises to increase the burn :)

And yes, a solid planche takes loads of patience and effort. GB foundation teaches you to increase work capacity before jumping to more difficult stuff. And that has been critical to my progress.

Zach, what do you do specifically for traps? That seems to be my weak link at the moment.