Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand Kick-off Question.

Bob Sanders

Hi, ok, first when you kick off does it matter which leg you kick off with? In a gymnast area term does it have to be left leg? Because I am right leg dominant and I can kick of easier on the right leg. It just feels too awkward with my left leg and that messes me up; me falling my whole back on the wall then bring the legs up, push against the wall to do so. But will this also cause an imbalance in the calf muscles? Because today I woke with my calf feeling a little stiff from all the handstand work I did yesterday.

The other thing I want to ask is there a certain way to kick off to not all over on your back? Right now I am using a wall so that's no biggie. I'd just fall on the wall but every time I kick if I can just right I would sometimes slam on the wall, sometimes slightly some times real hard, like flat out smack on the wall. So I would worry about that so I would try to kick lightly and then I would not make it because I didn't kick hard enough. Is there a way I can fix this problem so I would end up with a kick-off that would end up in me bring my feet together in a controlled manner?

You should be able to kick to HS with either leg as far as motor learning movement goes.

Kick the first leg to vertical, not farther and the second leg to just under vertical. That way when it stops because of momentum it stops at vertical. Really this just takes practice besides of course squeezing your butt and abs as you initiate the kick. Squeezing at the top is too late.

Become proficient in both. Whichever way you roundoff (whatever leg that comes off the ground first) will be your dominant leg. Doesn't always have to be right leg for right handers.

You need to learn control. This comes with time. Pretty much what Blair said though

Well my left leg comes up first then my right. I kick up into a handstand with my right leg. It's like if you're right handed and then when you right with your left hands its really, really awkward and your write funny. With handstand if I kick off with my left I would push my whole self right into the wall. And if I don't push hard I won't get up there. So my question is: should I learn to perfect a handstand first then worry about learning to kick into a handstand with my left leg? I do a perfect kick-off with my right leg. With more time I might even not need a wall anymore with the perfect kick off.

Get good on one side vs being crappy on both side. Get competent on one side while still working the other side to a degree.

It's good to get good on both sides for cartwheel development.

How do I keep my abs and butt tensed? Sometimes I do it right and sometimes I don't. I am stuck at not kicking up right. If I kick too hard I feet will slam the wall and if I kick just right I end up like an inch or so off of vertical and would fall right back down. I can sometimes get controlled and meet both my feet at vertical and not even touch the wall. I want to be able to do that consistantly not if I'm lucky.

Whichever way you roundoff (whatever leg that comes off the ground first) will be your dominant leg.

Is that always like this? Because my right leg feels stronger, I'm right-handed and it comes off second.

I kick the soccer ball with my right leg.

Titan, it will come with time. Practice.

Hi,

As far as my experience is, I found it easier to kick off with both legs at the same time! That way I'm able to stabilise my body. I even try to stabilise with my both leg in a tucked position before I move to the standard straight leg position. I guess it's not the academic way of starting a handstand but I feel it help to find balance and even more, to keep a flat back in order to avoid the banana shaped HS...

Olivier

Hi,

As far as my experience is, I found it easier to kick off with both legs at the same time! That way I'm able to stabilise my body. I even try to stabilise with my both leg in a tucked position before I move to the standard straight leg position. I guess it's not the academic way of starting a handstand but I feel it help to find balance and even more, to keep a flat back in order to avoid the banana shaped HS...

Olivier

It's OK for balancing/hand balancing (but you should be progressing to other stuff).

But yeah... not so much for artistic gymnastics work

Learning how to kick off both feet at the same time (donkey kick) is good but you also need to master kicking off one leg and the lunge for progressions for front and back tumbling.