Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapular retraction/depression/elevation/protraction question.

Kimura Sweep

Kimura Sweep

Hi guys,

My left shoulder hangs forward a little bit and is elevated and somehow my right shoulder hurts.

My physical terapist told me i have scapular dyskenesis i also have some lordosis and forward head posture.

Been doing a couple of exercises now, handstand (pushups), shoulder dislocations with squeeze hold, pushup plus when my shoulder can take it and some more.

Now my question is should i purely be focussing on retracting and depressing the scapulae or is there also benefit from protracting and getting the muscles stronger to do that.?

I am asking beause since i know my problem is with depressing and retracting that is all i focus on and protracting feels counterintuitive. 

Lets say i am leaning on a railing like this :131993910-mid-adult-man-leaning-on-a-rai

Do i want to retract and depress the scapulae here or protract?

The same question i have for pushing, i try to retract and depress when i push, but lately i have been thinking that i just should protract...

Basically i am wondering, If i get stronger in protracting movements, does that equal better retracting because the same muscle got stronger? Or will that be counterproductive and move my default scapula stance to be further apart.?

Anyone that could help shed some light on this?  Thanks.

Edited by Kimura Sweep

Ivan Pavlovic

In pushups scapula should be protracted and depressed. Different muscles work in protraction and retraction.