Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to train for this type of one arm press ?

Mouclier Victor

Jesus Rojas

To my knowledge it doesn't matter how many two arms presses you're able to do. First you need to get a solid one arm handstand and then start to train specifically for that one arm standing press. Handbalancer(the user of the forum), always said that one arm presses are maybe one of the most difficult skills in hand balancing, and I think he also said that there are some one arm elements that are prerequisites for one arm presses.

Guest Itamar Sha'ashua

:facepalm:

Agree... I Just can't understand the connection between simple and one arm press handstand..

Mouclier Victor

Ahah ! i apologize for this adjective :lol: but it's because i'ts done from a stand and it does not begin by pressing from a one arm straddle L...

I corrected (don't want to became persona non grata on this forum :P)

Edited by Bosco

Julian Aldag

The 1/2 press like in the video isn't terribly hard if you have a solid 1 arm handstand + great Pike, Straddle, Side flexibility.

If you are super flexible, you can almost "tip over" into a 1arm with little strength.

Its the rest of the ROM that will kill you.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

For most of us even a one arm handstand or press handstand is so far away, many years.

• Upvote 2

Mouclier Victor

Thanks for the answers ! Actually i was thinking about doing assisted versions of this one in order to improve my balance enough to hold the straddle OAHS.

What do you think ?

Alexander Egebak

Thanks for the answers ! Actually i was thinking about doing assisted versions of this one in order to improve my balance enough to hold the straddle OAHS.

What do you think ?

How is your handstand and press handstand? Those are generally considered prerequisites for OAHS.

Julian Aldag

You should have a solid OAHS before working on the OA press. And you should have a solid, well aligned HS and presses before training the OA. 

• Upvote 2

Jesus Rojas

In my opinion, from this angle, your shoulders looks kinda closed, in your presses you didn't go full ROM and your legs were bent throughout the press, and also you should point your toes. Improve all of these and you will be one step closer to the OAHS.

Try to not stick your head out too much in the HS, this can make you arch.

Mouclier Victor

thanks ! actually it's the first time i record myself and i noticed that my handstand was a lot piked ! (horrible)

As for the bent in my legs, is it because i lack flexibility ? because i swear i focused a lot on keeping my legs straight and they still bent a little bit :angry: 

• 4 weeks later...
Mouclier Victor

Hello !

I would like to make an update of my progress, but i'm not really progressing : my handstand line is now completely straight and i can do a full pancake but i still can't keep my legs completely straight during my press.. :angry:

chuchodani, could you tell me what should i do to develop the neccessary active flexibility ?

Alexander Egebak

Hello !

I would like to make an update of my progress, but i'm not really progressing : my handstand line is now completely straight and i can do a full pancake but i still can't keep my legs completely straight during my press.. :angry:

chuchodani, could you tell me what should i do to develop the neccessary active flexibility ?

You should check out Handstand 1 and 2 if you have not already. They will help to develop your handstand and press handstand in an appropriate manner. If that is not a possibility post your handstand for critique and work on "compression". We simply cannot tell you what is in the programs for free.

Press handstand is not a skill you learn from day one but rather one you work on refining for some years. Do not expect it to come around from only months of training. And the one arm press handstand... some people may never even get there; especially if they do not have the right programming and a good coach.

• 3 months later...
Matthew Jefferys

Hello !

It might just be that your hamstrings are contracting to extend your hips, which is bending your knees slightly. How strong are your quads? A strong contraction from the quadriceps should negate the bending, while still allowing the hamstrings to extend the hip. You squat, bro?