Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Press to Handstand Negatives!?

norbeex3

I've been training for some time now and the thing is I learned the tuck press to handstand properly with straight arms very controlled but I can't do a single negative :shock: . Despite the fact that everyone says you should do negatives first and if it's good move on to real presses. How could this happen? Am I doing something wrong? It's like when the weight of the legs shifts from my shoulders to my abs I simply fall down. But I reckon my abs are strong enough 'cause I can bring myself up easily. Maybe I should try harder to take control of my body when I'm bringing down my weight? Is there a technique? Any tips or suggestions?

How decent is your HS? My first thoughts are that you can press to HS easier than down because pressing down requires control of the HS. I've seen a lot of kids with very little control of their HS be able to press up followed by a collapse or walking because they can't control their HS.

How decent is your HS? My first thoughts are that you can press to HS easier than down because pressing down requires control of the HS. I've seen a lot of kids with very little control of their HS be able to press up followed by a collapse or walking because they can't control their HS.

Let's say I can hold it 9 times out of 10 and every time I catch the balance I can hold it for 20-30sec(never tested it tough, I just get bored at half minute and come down.) So I don't know it could be. Is this good enough or needs to be developed for negatives?(oh and I'm never wandering around on my hands. if I'm starting to lose balance I'm rather coming down than walking around. I separate walking from balancing)

You shouldn't learn tuck press to handstand even if it's with straight arms.

Only learn straddle press or pike press. Start with straddle and work negatives focusing on getting the hips up then moving the legs... or if doing the ecentric portion get the feet down to the hands while the hips are all the way up.

Wall work with parallettes for negatives is generally the best.... concentrics you will work up to them with the wall or elevated feet on a mat. Then reduce mat height as you can do it and hold the handstand

Only learn straddle press or pike press. Start with straddle and work negatives focusing on getting the hips up then moving the legs... or if doing the ecentric portion get the feet down to the hands while the hips are all the way up.

Wall work with parallettes for negatives is generally the best.... concentrics you will work up to them with the wall or elevated feet on a mat. Then reduce mat height as you can do it and hold the handstand

Why shouldn't one learn tuck press to handstand?

Why shouldn't one learn tuck press to handstand?

It's not applicable and it teaches bad habits.

Once you can do straddle presses you can easily do tuck presses anyway... not that you would want to.

It's not applicable and it teaches bad habits.

Once you can do straddle presses you can easily do tuck presses anyway... not that you would want to.

Oh. I can do a straddle press but can't do a tuck press. Does that mean something is wrong?

tuck press from ground, knees and toes, ain't exactly easy. big ROM compared to from a straddle stand.

Thank You for your answer. I will do what you've suggested. Those exercises about controlling the hips sounds good and a great way to learn the straddle press. What kind of bad habits did you talk about? May I ask? Or did you hear it from someone else too?

I was wondering why none of the gymnasts at the olympics used the tuck press but I think I have the answer. :wink:

It teaches you to bend your knees.

A tuck is a bent leg pike. Your still piking at the hips but bending the knees to make it even easier. It's not like tuck is that much easier than straddle.

I really like HS press downs focusing on getting the straddle as low as possible and pressing back up. I credit it with getting my press again because I can really focus on getting my hip flexors engaged and activated and focusing on the straddle compression.

It teaches you to bend your knees.

A tuck is a bent leg pike. Your still piking at the hips but bending the knees to make it even easier. It's not like tuck is that much easier than straddle.

I really like HS press downs focusing on getting the straddle as low as possible and pressing back up. I credit it with getting my press again because I can really focus on getting my hip flexors engaged and activated and focusing on the straddle compression.

I see. I learned the tuck press earlier by myself I didn't know it's that bad but I will use Pike and Straddle from now on.