Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need new skin quick!

Mikkel Ravn

Mikkel Ravn

Got a pretty big blister on my index finger, between first and second joint. Problem is, I'm going rock climbing in a week, and new to grow some new, tough skin quickly. The blister hasn't popped yet.

Questions is, do I pop it and expose the new skin to a strong salt solution (Coach Sommer's advice for open blisters), or do I leave the blister intact for as long as possible and leave the new skin to grow underneath? If I tape up the finger, I should be able to keep it intact.

The first option is certainly the most painful, but I can live with that, if it's the best option. 

Joshua Slocum

Cut away the dead skin, disinfect the new skin, and apply the salt soak a few times a day a la Coach Sommer's rip writeup. Best remedy that I've tried so far.

• Upvote 2

Mikkel Ravn

Ok guys, thanks, just what I feared. I'm shuddering in anticipation  :D  :(

Joshua Slocum

It stings a lot at first but after a minute or two it fades to an annoyance.

• Upvote 1

Joachim Nagler

I don't know if they're available in your area but you could also try compeed blister patches. They are like a second skin and the small ones usually used for toes might also work for fingers.

I used to get blisters on my feet during longer hikes and those worked very well and kept me going.