Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bicep strength

Guest irongymnast

Guest irongymnast

Are the biceps important for exercises?

Because I've been told that biceps are mostly for looks or the harder exercises (such as maltese).

Can someone list some bicep-intensive exercises (apart from the chinup)?

I would say, yes, definitely. My biceps have grown doing only dips for a period of months, as wells as pronated pull ups as my only exercise at a seperate time. Fingers back planche work puts a lot of stress on my biceps, personally. I don't think I am seeing things, but I believe the shape is different, too. You seem to get more thickness nearing the elbow. Another move called an elevator would should require strong biceps. I think there is a reason why gymnasts have large biceps, simply, function.

My friend,

I feel this is the wrong question.

The question might be better put as "How can I develop a maltese?"

The biceps, as well as the rest of the upper body, will develop as a byproduct of the pursuit of this and other goals.

best,

jason

I was at a clinic and they mentioned doing some bicep isolation work since some ring strength movements build up the triceps so much in comparison. Basically, it's a preventative action. I do not remember the exact exercises, reps and sets but believe it was just curls.

Blairbob but wouldn't it be better to just do chin ups instead?

Chinups aren't effective when you're working maltese/inverted/etc. because you can do zillions of them

Maybe OAC... but if you're lat dominant than lats get most of the work, if your biceps are dominant then your lats will limit your biceps work. So isolation work may be necessary at some point. Note this is only for advanced trainees where you need to hit a certain weakness.

This was in regards to collegiate athletes and not just those competing club. Think elites. It could apply to junior elites as well.

I have prescribed simple isolation work for those kids with natural hyperextended elbows, especially when it was starting to creep up that they were complaining of elbow pressure.

I do a litlle biceps work with weight, but more or less high weights and low reps....I noticed a bit helpful for swallows (maltese), less pain in biceps after workout.

I want to avoid using weights but:

Chinups don't really do work, it's not that I can do them forever but I don't feel that my biceps are getting strained enough.

OAC is way too far for me and I probably won't ever try it because of many elbow tenonditis horror stories that I've heard of.

So I was thinking weights, but I'm clueless on how much weight and how many reps.

I want to train for strength, not to get larger.

Gregor (or anyone), can you advise?

Also, my triceps are definitely stronger than my biceps, what is the optimal analogy? Like 65% triceps, 35% biceps?

I don't have "equipment" for weighted chinups.

In the book, a vest is used if I'm not mistaken.

Where can I find such a vest or can you suggest alternative DIY equipment for weighted chinups/pullups?

Yeah that's what I'm asking. How?

Like the only way I've thought until now is put weights in my backpack and just wear it.

But this is kind of unbalanced because all the weight goes to my back and drags me back.

I need a vest or belt. :/

Also, how many reps of chinups/pullups are considered as easy (meaning that I should increase the weight)? 5? 10?

Richard Duelley

I would say 5 sets of 3-5 reps, or 3 sets of 3-5 reps if you are really pushing your weight limit.

Yeah that's what I'm asking. How?

Like the only way I've thought until now is put weights in my backpack and just wear it.

But this is kind of unbalanced because all the weight goes to my back and drags me back.

I need a vest or belt. :/

Also, how many reps of chinups/pullups are considered as easy (meaning that I should increase the weight)? 5? 10?

Strap it tight or put it on the front of your body

Do weighted reps of 5. If you can load your backpack enough so that they're hard...

So weighted chin up helps with bicep or some isolation work would be the best?

If you're working upper level strength moves, I'd hit up the curls.

If you're not, weighted chins.. especially if you can't do double bodyweight chin. I'm pretty sure Gregor could do a double bodyweight pullup if he wanted to.

Thanks braindx, I tried the way you suggested and did 5 chinups/5 pullups with 25 pounds. Wasn't easy but wasn't too hard either.

What do you mean by curls (which page in BtGB)?

Elbow tendons get much strain though and I'm afraid to add more weight.

I'm 150 pounds, chinup with bodyweight seems like woah!

Braindx used to or still can chipup with his BW or more added to himself in a chin or pullup if memory is correct.

You can utilize the curl variations in the book.

I am talking like preacher curls or whatever else supplementary isolation work you need if you're working high level strength and need to bring up biceps strength/mass to protect your elbows.

Anyway, yeah work your way up to at least 1/2 bw chin to say the least (or do other pulling variations from the book). Will help significantly with strength.

I used to do classic style curls for years, in the tradition of bodybuilding. Barbell curls, preacher curls, hammer curls, etc. Now that I have switched over to doing gymnastic style strength training, I seldom do isolation work, and my biceps still get as good, if not a better, workout. Besides the various different pull-up options, the static holds always seems to work the biceps, as well as any work on the rings. My arms always scream after doing forward rolls, but that is probably because I am still getting the form down.

Still, on occassion, I will do the old curls, just for fun or for variety, at the end of workout, as part of a circuit or giant set.

Before I found a dipping belt on sale, I always just stuck the weight plates in between my thighs and clamped my legs, and I could hold up to about 45 pounds, albeit not terribly comfortably, when doing pull-ups.

Again, the only point to the isolation curls is for advanced ring straight arm strength work. Iron Cross and up.