Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Handstand Course is for me? Is there a Handstand 3?

RachelGymnast

RachelGymnast

I am a long time gymnast (Level 8 training 9), but I do not compete anymore.

I am still at the gym everyday, because I coach and I still work out.

I coach in the afternoon everyday except Sunday.

After coaching I stay at the gym for around 3 more hours to work out.
I do around 1 1/2 hours of gymnastics training (basic tumbling, a little bars and a little vault).

Then I do about one hour of handstand work:

10x1 V-Sit Pike to handstand to V-Sit  ON FLOOR
3x3 L-Sit to handstand to L-Sit ON FLOOR
3x10 Straddle L to Handstand ON FLOOR
3x10 secs V-Sit
​Some Compression Training
Some Free Standing Handstands at the end.

Then I do about 30mins of regular strength training like Pull-Ups. Chin-Ups, Dips, Leg Lifts and Squats. Usually I do 3 sets of 10 reps of each exercise, so not too many.

At the end I stretch.

I still enjoy it and love it and can't imagine more than a day without gymnastics. however, I would like to have a new challenge.

I want to put it all in the handstands! So I thought about buying the Handstand Course. What is covered in H2? Is there a H3?

But what should I focus on? How can I take my handstand skills to the next level?
Should I do more L-Sits to handstand in a row? Or should I start using ankle weights for all those exercises? I have never used weights yet.
What is the next Level?

Every opinion is appreciated. Thanks

Coach Sommer

- How long is your static handstand?

- Video is necessary in order to evaluate your shoulder flexion and bodyline.

- In terms of strength, you have already mastered the press handstand requirements in H2.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Coach, if he already master the press handstand but not with the handstand course progressions, does he still need to start from H1?

Christian Sørlie

Even with the strength and mobility needed to press HS there is room for refinement on the HS. Maybe the line is not perfect or the shoulders can use more mobility. The wrist work, shoulder mobility and line drills in H1 is something that can always be used.

Alexander Egebak

Coach, if he already master the press handstand but not with the handstand course progressions, does he still need to start from H1?

it is quite common for some gymnasts (because who else might have a press handstand) to have a press handstand before having a 2 minute handstand. 2 minutes are quite hard which is also why it is recommend to start H2 when you have a solid handstand, 2 minutes handstand is beyond solid :D

H1 might have some useful exercises to further refine a handstand though, as Christian says. H1 is worth a go if not just to use that money back guarantee.

RachelGymnast

- How long is your static handstand?

- Video is necessary in order to evaluate your shoulder flexion and bodyline.

- In terms of strength, you have already mastered the press handstand requirements in H2.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the advice. I can hold a free standing handstand on floor for at least a minute.

I will upload a video as soon as I can.

Is there a H3 Course? What is the next step in my handstand training? Unfortunately, I have no one to ask ;(

RachelGymnast

Thank You all for the advice. Yes, I also had my handstand presses before a good free standing handstand. I would say my handstand is good, but not perfect yet. When I open my shoulders completely, I lose balance sometimes. But I manage to hold a handstand with good position for a minute almost every time I try.

Of course, I will also work on my alignment. But I would like to progress more strength wise too...

Christian Sørlie

H3 is not released yet and will deal with 1 arm HS. If you have a good HS, the press and want more strength, then the foundation courses seem to be a way to go. There are 7 elements where one is the 90 degree push up or hollow body press. This element takes you from push ups to dips to HS push ups to the hollow body press.

GoldenEagle

Handstand one- We aught to be able to hold, five, two minute free standing handstands.

Handstand Two- Develops press handstand.

As it has been previously mentioned. Handstand Three is for single arm handstand and hasn't been released, yet.