Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building a power rack with built-in Stall bars?

Julian Aldag

Julian Aldag

Hey Everyone, 

So my girlfriend and I are looking at making our downstairs area into a gym.

We had the idea of building a power rack with built-in on stall bars on the back side. We are unable to attach the stall bars to the wall, and a free standing one takes up a lot of space; so we came up with the combo.

Also the power rack will house a pull bar, eventually hang rings, and also will probably add a dip station to it too.

At the moment the power rack frame is looking to be about 4'x4'x 8'. The stall bars 3x8' attached to the back. The stall bars would be placed where you would usually rack the bar, and instead you would rack from the other side (you would be facing the stall bars).

Any thoughts or ideas? Any potential limitations? 

Julian Aldag

Thats cool!  Unfortunately that option wont work for me. :/  But I love the dip station!

Not much to say other than post pictures when it's done!

• 2 weeks later...
Nicholas Sortino

I would love to see it if you get it done.  It sounds like it could be a brilliant idea. 

• 6 months later...
Romulo Malta

Hey Everyone, 

We had the idea of building a power rack with built-in on stall bars on the back side. We are unable to attach the stall bars to the wall, and a free standing one takes up a lot of space; so we came up with the combo.

Also the power rack will house a pull bar, eventually hang rings, and also will probably add a dip station to it too.

At the moment the power rack frame is looking to be about 4'x4'x 8'. The stall bars 3x8' attached to the back. The stall bars would be placed where you would usually rack the bar, and instead you would rack from the other side (you would be facing the stall bars).

Hey Jules! Happy New Year!

More than half a year has passed already and could you concretize the project?

I was thinking about doing something similar, since the walls here in Japan are quite fragile and the ceiling is made of plasterboard, so mounting to the ceiling would probably also rip it off.

Wouldn´t the structure of the power rack be an obstacle for many stall bars exercises that you move your legs to the side, like windshield wipers?

Julian Aldag

Hey Romulo, 

Happy New Year to you too!

For the time being, we decided not to build it.  I have stall bars and a squat rack at work, and my girlfriend goes to a gym to work out, 

so currently there is no good reason for us to take up so much space in the house.   But, if things were different, I would totally build it.

The best way would be to measure your leg length and perhaps make the rack a little longer from the back to the front to accomodate. I have short legs, so I dont think it would have been a problem for me. I think the only challenges I could think of was not being able to do 'full' pull overs on the adjustable bar (Would have to start from L-sit). I think I measured that flag presses were fine too ( I am 5'6 so I think I could just get it in).

To give you a reference, I would basically thinking about building this:

I was planning on putting the barbell holders on the inside of the front, and the stall bars on the back.  If made properly, you could also use the adjustable side safety bars to do pull overs, korean dips etc.   I think you would also need a single bar running thru the center of the rack to hang rings off of (if you hang it off the built-in pull up bar, the side posts will get in the way for certain exercises. 

The only other thing I needed to figure out was how to add a dip station - but I think it was just a better idea to make parallettes.

I hope all that helps!!

• 3 years later...
Avi Samuel
On 6/7/2015 at 11:27 AM, Julian Aldag said:

Hey Everyone, 

What did this COMBO look like when posted? What does it look like now? Curious. 

• 1 year later...