Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starting out techniques

Guest jcnol

Guest jcnol

I see all of these advanced exercises that these people are doing. What about someone with no gymnastics experience. What can they start out with?

Edward Smith

Well before i give any advice can i know your current strength levels and i guess your goals?

Without any knowledge as to your current fitness levels, I wrote up a quick list of the first "easy" bodyweight skills that I could think of, presuming that you're looking for bodyweight exercises (as most people that come to this forum are). Anyways here's a few simple ones, and next to them are some random variations for when they become too effortless:

Pushups (headstand, tricep, hindu, pseudoplanche, plyo, on rings, on bar)

Pullups (l-ups, v-ups, muscleups, weighted, on rings i suppose)

Dips (tricep, plyo, weighted)

Pistols (negatives, with added jumps, weighted, possibly both)

Calve raises / Shin Raises (calve jumps, weighted, both)

Those 2 dollar grippers (really not any variations... less fingers maybe?)

Russians (see Steve terada's website)

Wall Sits (for 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds, ect, or weighted)

Ab holds (l-sit, v-sit, hanging leg raise hold, any of these on rings)

Leg Raises (tuck hang raise, hanging l raise, hanging v raise, dragon flags)

front lever progressions (...duh)

planche progressions (...see above)

supermans (hollow rock, hyperextension, hyper w/ weight)

sprinting intervals (be creative)

jump rope mayhaps (you can try and do doubles and triples... its fun!)

Yeah thats a rather decent list. Basically don't bother looking in at the variations and progressions until you've established that you can easily handle the orignally stated exercise. Again this is without knowing your current shape, and presuming you want bodyweight drills. Since I left to make a post-workout shake midway through this, you could have already responded with your info by the time I finish this, so it might look silly.

Jcnol, I've written up on a few threads at crossfit basic progression spiels. However, it would take a bit of going through to find anything through CF's search engine.

Drillsandskills have quite a few articles on some rudimentary basics. Rings, parallettes, tumbling, and calesthenics.

George Launchbury

We recently had a few threads that covered training for a basic level of strength prior to starting the more advanced exercises. Here is a basic run down:

Goals

> 10 Pull-ups

> 10 Pushups (go deep on paralettes or rings)

> 10 Hanging leg raises (to horizontal)

Have a browse around the forum (and articles on main site) to find out how to do them correctly, problems others have had, and good progressions. To start with:

Workouts:

> Warm-up 10 mins

> 5 x 3 Pull-ups (with 2min rest between sets)

> 5 x 3 Push-ups (with 2min rest between sets)

> 5 x 3 Hanging leg raises (with 2min rest between sets)

> Something for legs (If you want ...and depends on goals)

> Cool-down/stretch 10 mins

Just in case you have no experience at all, 5 x 3 means do 5 sets of 3 repetitions. For example: 3 pull-ups, rest, 3 pull-ups, rest, 3 pull-ups, rest, 3 pull-ups, rest, 3 pull-ups. Do all of these in each workout 2-3 times a week, resting at least one day between Rest more if you need to.

Do them at a good tempo. 3 seconds lowering down, 3 seconds going up. Pause for 1 second at the hardest part (top for pullups and leg raises, at the bottom for push-ups).

Once you can do 5 x 3 for the exercise, start making the rests shorter by 30 seconds each time. Test regularly to see if you can do the full 10 reps of the exercises, as then you should be able to start with frog stand, tuck front-lever, etc. You don't want to spend more time than you need to in this phase of pre-training.

If you are unable to do them, or at least some of them, swap for negatives. This means getting to the top by whatever means (use a step for pullups, use your knees for pushups, and bend legs for leg raises). Then lower down for five seconds (or the best you can manage).

What you do for your legs depends on what you want to do with them, and is a whole discussion in itself. If you want to focus on upper body for now, a month or two of not training your legs isn't going to matter too much after years of not training them.

Hope this helps,

George.

Guest jcnol

Thanks for the replies. Theres some pretty awesome info here. I have decent strength. 275 squat 130 shoulder press 350+ deadlift. I can do 12 handstand pushups on the wall forhead to floor. I can do jumping pistols and clapping pullups. I can do over 20 deadhang pullups/chinups.

George Launchbury

OK... Please try and be a little more detailed with questions in future, that way people (me in this case) won't spend their free time giving answers that are, in retrospect, completely redundant.

In answer to the question:

Hello. I have decent strength. 275 squat 130 shoulder press 350+ deadlift. I can do 12 handstand pushups on the wall forhead to floor. I can do jumping pistols and clapping pullups. I can do over 20 deadhang pullups/chinups. I see all of these advanced exercises that these people are doing. What about someone with no gymnastics experience. What can they start out with? Thanks.

Read the articles on Planche/Font-levers on the main site, have a go, and take it from there. You might also want to work on free handstands, and do some basic ring work. There are plenty of posts/essays on both around the site/forum. Don't forget to balance out shoulder work so there's some external rotation work in there as well.

Once you have a plan, and start using it - why not post in workout logs, so people can learn from your journey, and (if necessary) help you out with some advice on what might improve your plan. There might even already be a workout schedule in there that suits you pretty much already!?

Regards,

George.

Guest Free Man

Thanks Raizen for the exercise alternatives.

George: Your first answer may not help him, but it sure helps the others on this board, including me :D

George Launchbury
Thanks Raizen for the exercise alternatives.

George: Your first answer may not help him, but it sure helps the others on this board, including me :D

In which case it was time well spent. :)