Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arm size and strength.

Mauro Aquilini

Mauro Aquilini

I can do a front and back lever on the ring, i can do the straddle planche on the ring, the iron cross an i tried the Victorian, but the result of the Victorian is only a slow negative movement. I can do 2-3 muscle up with 20 lb west.

I notice my biceps more strong, dense etc.

For my biceps i do straight arm work, and curl (on the book of coach Sommers).

for the triceps i don't know a very hard exercise.

Somebody Can help me?

i need an exercise for build strength and size of my triceps.

please help me!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• braindx

• Ortprod

• Mauro Aquilini

• Joshua Naterman

why do you train victorian if you can not do the malteses or more complex crosses...You must know only Rodriguez does good victorian and not without deduction....

Mauro Aquilini

i play with my ring in my garage! :D

Victorian only for my curiosity....

can you suggest me one hard exercise (or complex movement) for train the triceps very hard?

Thank's

dips on p.bars, HS push ups,...

If you can't do other harder things you won't do victorian,....Victorian is the hardest thing on rings :wink:

Mauro Aquilini

dip and hs push up with only bodyweight or with weight vest?

I try Victorian beacuse i feel my lats and my TRICEPS very hard!

you can go dips and hs push ups with weights...

look for all kind of dips in a sticky topic in a "basic strength"

Mauro Aquilini

Gregor i'm not a gymnast!

Only fitness enthusiast!

I live in Italy and i love gymnastic movement, but my prior goal is hypertrophy.

I train with ring 2 times per week and the 3rd day i do pistols, bodyweight squats, with veight vest etc.

How many time per week do you train?

Guest cccp21

Only fitness enthusiast!

I live in Italy and i love gymnastic movement, but my prior goal is hypertrophy.

I train with ring 2 times per week and the 3rd day i do pistols, bodyweight squats, with veight vest etc.

*************just as an aside what is your height and weight?

Brandon Green

Only fitness enthusiast!

If you want a hypertrophy just train like BB (6-12 reps/3 sets/2-3 diffrent exercises).

Mauro Aquilini

ehm, sorry, I don't like the BB approach (6-12 reps etc...)

I need functional hypertrophy.

I train for strength movement (iron cross - muscle up - front and back lever etc...)

Well even though its alot shoulder, planche pushups hit the triceps hard, Bowers could be an opportunity aswell.

so, your prior goal is hypertrophy or functional hypertrophy, they're a tad different things you kno ;p

Guest Ido Portal

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/relativestrengthmyth.html

Here is an interesting article I recently ran into and posted on my forum. It talks about the belief that for relative strength any mass gains should be limited. It apears it is not the case. Limiting hypertrophy does not allow optimal strength, even relative strength to be developed.

Sometimes, hypertrophy is the only way to get stronger.

Ido.

Here is an interesting article I recently ran into and posted on my forum. It talks about the belief that for relative strength any mass gains should be limited. It apears it is not the case. Limiting hypertrophy does not allow optimal strength, even relative strength to be developed.

Ido.

Interesting, I'm not getting much stronger, maybe I need some hypertrophy.

Ido.

Depends if you compete in a sport with weight classes. :D Even so, in weight class sports if your bodyweight is constant improvements can still be made albeit much slower.

Most people could stand to gain some muscle though including myself.

Relative strength can increase with muscle mass up to a certain point. Ido, do you have any speculations as to where "optimal weight" to strive for to maximize relative strength (can be based on height or any other factors you want)?

I'm personally of the opinion that it depends a lot on the genetics of the person as to what their optimal bodyweight is and thus potentially strength at that bodyweight. But I'd like to see if you or anyone has evidence to the contrary.

Guest Ido Portal

Braindx, read the article carefuly, it suggests even in weight class sports, hypertrophy is used in order to gain strength. (to a certain extent)

Optimal bodyweight for relative strength is something that is very specific to the person/activity in question. It is effected by many factors. Look at the data the Russians collected about OLifters and their Vjumps. The best relative strength was achieved by a the 90Kg (200lb) class. That is quite heavy.

Ido.

Braindx, read the article carefuly, it suggests even in weight class sports, hypertrophy is used in order to gain strength. (to a certain extent)

Optimal bodyweight for relative strength is something that is very specific to the person/activity in question. It is effected by many factors. Look at the data the Russians collected about OLifters and their Vjumps. The best relative strength was achieved by a the 90Kg (200lb) class. That is quite heavy.

Ido.

Yeah, I've read it multiple times before you've posted it.

Just wanted to collect your thoughts. Shrug.

Mauro Aquilini

Thank's for the replies! :)

This tread go in OT!

My question is about arm size and strength through gymnastir - ring exercise.

Guest cccp21

Ido.

*********** It's interesting to note that especially as the weight classes increased the Soviets found that "hypertrophy" methods increased in necessity to maintain strength as part of the "strength-speed" trait for Oly lifters.

Alexeev many years ago proposed "bodybuilding" methods for the lifters in the Superheavy class. And that the 1-3 rep methods

were too "monotonus" and did not maintain the mass of the heavier lifters.

Brandon Green

For triceps I have been working on a tricep layout, it is a movement I learned from Jon Hinds. Grab one ring with both hands in front of you, the height of the ring will determine the difficulty. Start with both arms locked out and bring your elbows and head to the ring by bending the elbow. Really grind the elbows down to the ring, hold the bottom position for a second and bring the elbows back to the starting position. Its a lot like a skull crusher on the rings, the lower the ring is to the ground the harder it will be. I tried to find a video but I can't find one at the moment, I'll try to find one later when I have more time.

Adam

For triceps I have been working on a tricep layout, it is a movement I learned from Jon Hinds. Grab one ring with both hands in front of you, the height of the ring will determine the difficulty. Start with both arms locked out and bring your elbows and head to the ring by bending the elbow. Really grind the elbows down to the ring, hold the bottom position for a second and bring the elbows back to the starting position. Its a lot like a skull crusher on the rings, the lower the ring is to the ground the harder it will be. I tried to find a video but I can't find one at the moment, I'll try to find one later when I have more time.

Adam

Why use that when you can do stuff like HSPUs, planche pushups variations, dips, etc?

Those are VERY tough on the elbows and they're basically like isolation work which won't help you progress in anything here.

Why use that when you can do stuff like HSPUs, planche pushups variations, dips, etc?

Those are VERY tough on the elbows and they're basically like isolation work which won't help you progress in anything here.

True, I have noticed all of those things work my triceps as well. I added the tricep layout one day per week (5x5)to focus on my long skinny limbs (to increase size). I have been doing this particular exercise since I started on this program so I don't know how much it enhances the workout, if at all, but I have definitely improved the strength and size of my arms. I also wanted to do the same thing with my forearms but I feel like the gymnastic moves have been good enough for now and I don't want to overdo it. I never thought of it being to tough on the elbows but now that you mention it my elbows do feel a little sore afterwards, although, I haven't been so good at doing my joint pre-hab. If size is what someone wants I think it is a good supplemental exercise, if I were only a gymnast and not just into general fitness I probably wouldn't do it. Thank you for your thoughts on this move, I will maybe eliminate it on my next cycle and see what difference, if any at all, it makes.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Adam

The stronger you get the more specific your training becomes?