Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reverse Planche!

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

I have a few questions about the reverse planche.

I do not mean a mexican handstand like this: 
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c3/27/98/c32798f4615f9c8fed1175652523f3bd.jpg

I mean a real reverse planche like this one:
http://s89.photobucket.com/user/oldskoolyarn/media/IG%20Magazine%20Scans/SAVE00046.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Does it translate to a "normal" planche in any aspect?
It obviously requires flexible shoulders, but what else? Which muscles are involved? 

How do you train for it?
What are the progressions?
And is it easier if you straddle, like in this picture?: http://i.imgur.com/2miQuaw.jpg

Not considering the necessity of flexibility - how hard is it? Is it harder than a normal straddle planche? 

I am very curious! Thanks in advance!

Julian Aldag

Its not a reverse planche, its a hollow back handstand.

- Very little to no carryover.

- Primarily a Thoracic spine/shoulder mobility skill.

- Perfect your bridge + walkovers

- Straddling reduces the strength needed

- How hard?  Its primarily a flexibility/mobility skill and cant be compared directly with a strength skill.  If you have extremely poor mobility, planche will be easier. If you are naturally as flexible as a slinky, the hollow back will be easier.

Coach Sommer

A question of semantics.  

In gymnastics a hollow back handstand means a hollow back press to handstand.  A reverse planche in gymnastics terms is what is illustrated in katlinchen's second photo.  As this is a GST site, we will be using the gymnastics definition of terms.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Julian Aldag

A reverse planche in gymnastics terms is what is illustrated in katlinchen's second photo.  As this is a GST site, we will be using the gymnastics definition of terms.

I've never officially heard it called that before. I guess i've spent too much time in the circus world...

Katharina Huemer

Thank You all for your replies.

I  tried it out yesterday at the gym. It is super easy against a wall and free standing it is just a matter of balance, not so much strength.

So no way comparable to a "real" planche.

Coach Sommer

Try doing it with shoulder width hands, straight arms, focusing primarily on shoulder flexion, lowering the feet down to lightly brush the ground and then pulling back up to handstand.  This is one rep.  Now do five reps.  

This was Allan's old assignment each day in his warmup.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Katharina Huemer

Thanks! It feels similar to a back limber which I think is pretty easy. I just need wo work on doing it slower. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

Maybe this Q has already been asked but coulndt find it in the forum.

I am at H1/PE2, and do TBS series. I would like to try this (second photo, reverse planche), Is this part of any of GB series? If no, when could I start trying this? Stress in low back is higher than t-bridge?

thanks!

Feli

Julian Aldag

The static skill itself is not focussed on in the GB programs, but building a solid bridge and bridge walkovers/limbers will prepare you for it. 

The stress on the lower back is only great if you are doing the movement poorly.  The primary stress should be on the upper back/thoracic spine and shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Felipe Garcia Rosa
3 hours ago, Julian Aldag said:

The static skill itself is not focussed on in the GB programs, but building a solid bridge and bridge walkovers/limbers will prepare you for it. 

The stress on the lower back is only great if you are doing the movement poorly.  The primary stress should be on the upper back/thoracic spine and shoulders.

Thanks for your anwser. Should I wait until reaching H1 SEs?

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Thanks for your anwser. Should I wait until reaching H1 SEs?

without solid handstand and solid walkover, there is no way to approach the reverse planche.

• Upvote 2

Felipe Garcia Rosa
58 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

without solid handstand and solid walkover, there is no way to approach the reverse planche.

Hi Alessandro,

walkovers are in Movement series?

Alessandro Mainente

nope, their correct development it is displayed along the foundations course, from 1 to 4.

• Upvote 1