Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finger tendonosis, need advice

Biren Patel

Biren Patel

Hi,

I've got a friend following the GST programs, I'm here to seek advice on his behalf. He's not one to post things for reasons.

For the past two months, my friend has been feeling dull, throbbing, and aching pain at the intermediate phalanges of the index finger close to promixal interphalangeal joint on extensor side. He fears it may be tendonsis. Suspected cause is using tweezers daily for hours on end.

At first the finger only hurt when he was using the tweezers. He was getting stiffness in the morning. Playing piano also relieved the pain, interestingly enough. But then the finger hurt when he was typing.

After resting for two weeks, the pain returned again while playing piano and has now become a constant dull pain. Also, there is a tingling and numbness that has spread from the pinky to the elbow. Pain continues to increase in dull aching but the finger is feeling less stiff. There is no redness and doesn't seem to be swelling, but on occasion the finger has felt hot.

He is trying hard to get to a doctor but there are some tough problems on that front. I thought it would be best to try and get some feedback from you guys. Any info on solving this issue would be wonderful. I can clarify things if needed.

Joseph Blazuk

Doesn't sound like tendinosis.  Too many details need to be clarified, sounds more like a rheumatological problem (RA, JRA, etc) vs some sort of neuropathic process vs CRPS, any history of trauma?  Highly doubtful you will get an accurate diagnosis posting on this board.

Coach Sommer

I would recommend doing finger extension work with a rubber band.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christoph Pahl

I found neither "tendinosis" nor "tendonosis" in my dictionary. I once had a similar problem (inside my hand, some flexor tendon), where the problem wandered down the forearm. This is clearly tenosynovitis, the whole tendon sheath is irritated. It is often caused by doing something with low intensity - but way too much: Typing, knitting, his tweezers, whatever. The route to healing is simple: Rest, rest, and rest. And after that he probably needs some rest, it's a matter of months. Extension (antagonist) work might help of course.

Edited by Christoph