Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how necessary are Hanging Leg Lifts?

MrAl

how necessary are leg lifts if you can already V-Sit/Russian Lever, Straddle L to Press Handstand and even V-Sit to Pike Press Handstand and do it daily? So if you do a ton of daily compression work already, are they still necessary in a training routine?

Alessandro Mainente

it depends. can you do 30 hanging leg lifts in a row?

• Upvote 3

Joshua Slocum

If you're at that level, they're probably good to have in your warmup, but not too many as you've got better things to do.

Coach Sommer

how necessary are leg lifts if you can already V-Sit/Russian Lever, Straddle L to Press Handstand and even V-Sit to Pike Press Handstand and do it daily? 

Essential.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Katharina Huemer

I also would do a few full ones and from L to L every now and then, but I actually don't know why. 

Katharina Huemer

Essential.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Can you tell us why? I would really like to know that. I still do them almost everyday, but after I have done a lot of V-Sits and compression work, I am a lot weaker in HLL. 

I guess they could be important for "real" gymnasts, because it is similar to a kip. But other than that, I couldn't say why they are important at that level...

Rajesh Bhat

For a more advanced gymnast, I believe that HLLs are a staple element of their conditioning, usually at high reps or in a warmup.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

is there any prerequisite in terms of passive pike flexibility (palms on the floor for example) to start working on HLL?

Thanks!

Katharina Huemer

Hi guys,

is there any prerequisite in terms of passive pike flexibility (palms on the floor for example) to start working on HLL?

Thanks!

Hey, I am really not sure about that, this is just my personal opinion/experience.

It is a lot easier if you are flexible, because then all you need to do is lift your legs without anything holding you back. If you are not so flexible, it is harder, because you have to work against your tight hamstrings which hold you back. So basically, it feels as if a flexible person would have weights on.

However, I would not say being flexible is a prerequisite for HLL. If you are less flexible, you hips would raise more than if you were flexible, but I don't think it is bad. Keep stretching anyways!

• Upvote 1