Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do plyometrics build mass ?

Mouclier Victor

Mouclier Victor

I know i'ts mainly a matter of caloric surplus but being very tall for gymnastics i don't want to handicap myself even more by making my legs heavier.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I feel your pain, tall fellow! IMO your going to add a little bit of mass doing plyometrics if, as you said, you're in a caloric surplus, but it shouldn't be something crazy to the point that is going to affect your progress.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Plyo build power, explosivity and connective tissue. Since the work is done with a 50 to 60% of 1rm there is a low probability to have mass production. On the other way mass built up with joint conditioning express higher tendons strength and this is a good basis from where to start.

• Upvote 2

Alexander Egebak

Plyometrics can be done while training for maximal strength, and you can have excellent gains in maximal strength, mass and explosiveness. Olympic lifting is evidence to that. Simply, first you learn to do an exercise like squats slowly and controlled for a certain amount of weight, next you try to perform the exercise faster but still controlled, then add more weight. And then repeat that.

Unweighted plyometrics will not be building much mass though.

Mouclier Victor

Thanks for your time everyone !

actually i'm just doing squat jumps variations so i don't worry too much now :P