Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

90-90 Iso One Arm Chin Up Position

Guest Ido Portal

Guest Ido Portal

Here is a recent blog post about the 90-90 Iso One Arm Chin Up Position.

I use this static position heavily in my training facility as I find it targets many muscluature chains in challanging joint angles and all in potent combination.

I have seen dramatic increases in pulling strength from frequent practice of this position. Try it:

iAR5ISq1Lvw

Also, for developmental stages and workout details, check out this blog post:

http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/08/pulling-and-air-babies.html

Enjoy,

Ido.

Guest Ido Portal

Yes, very much.

A pronated grip (pull up) is a bit weaker in most people, due to different requirement pattern in the arm musculature, but the rotation of the body is easier to control.

I recommend to start with a chin up grip or a neutral grip and progress from there.

Guest irongymnast

Very nice.

Is the OAC/OAP a prerequisite for this exercise?

I just tried, I can't hold but I'm almost there. Though I feel tension on my elbow.

I'm worried about all kinds of one arm on the bar because I've heard of elbow tenonditis horror stories. This is not as rough as the OAC but I'm still worried.

Also, can you make a clarification? What's an 'isometric' exercise and how does it differ from a 'regular' one. I see it a lot in the forum.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

isometric refers to the joints being in a static position. The muscles are at the same length (iso: same metre: length).

The muscles are contracted by the inherent resistance of the exercise or by activating them yourself.

Very nice.

Is the OAC/OAP a prerequisite for this exercise?

I just tried, I can't hold but I'm almost there. Though I feel tension on my elbow.

I'm worried about all kinds of one arm on the bar because I've heard of elbow tenonditis horror stories. This is not as rough as the OAC but I'm still worried.

Also, can you make a clarification? What's an 'isometric' exercise and how does it differ from a 'regular' one. I see it a lot in the forum.

1. OAC/OAP is harder

2. If you start feeling soreness in your tendons then you should back off

3. isometric = muscle stays same length

eccentric = muscles are enlongating

concentric = muscles contracting

Pullup going up is the concentric, coming down is eccentric, and holding in any position is isometric.

Etc.

Guest irongymnast

Thanks.

For example, is the HS an eccentric exercise?

Also, how can I strengthen my tendons in that area so that I don't feel soreness anymore?

Thanks.

For example, is the HS an eccentric exercise?

Also, how can I strengthen my tendons in that area so that I don't feel soreness anymore?

Work up to it slowly....

I cannot do OAC, what I have done is done chinups with a bias on one arm, like just use one or 2 fingers of the left hand so it forces the right arm to work more. I have seen others doing one arm negatives, but assisting with the free hand, this could be on a rope, ring or using the wall.

• 2 weeks later...
Alvaro Antolinez

Hi very interesting exercise!!!. Do you recomend use it in adition a pulling routine day of the gb book?.

Coach says maximum contraction with holding is preferable at top positions of the chinup and pull up, Is 90º complementary or it should go another day?.

thank you!

Guest Ido Portal

Different positions along the movement can be used with isometric holds to strengthen individual problematic weak links in the movement. For most people, holding the top of the chin up is much easier than the 90 degree angle, this is why I choose this movement.