Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stalls Bars are Expensive

Jonathan Silverman

Jonathan Silverman

How will we bring elite gymnastic training to the masses if stall bars are more expensive than a high-powered personal computer? 

I'm not a woodworker  so I can't build one.

Can anyone out there make a blueprint for DIY PVC stall bars?   That would be cheaper I imagine. 

Thanks.  

Joshua Slocum

No, pvc stall bars are a terrible, terrible idea.

Steel pipe might be workable, though. I'll have to drop by a hardware store sometime and see what looks doable...

• Upvote 1

Ivan Pavlovic

I made my steel stall bars for less than 30$. In my oppinion steel works same as wood.

Giovanni Garcea

I made my steel stall bars for less than 30$. In my oppinion steel works same as wood.

Do you have pictures or a list of materials?

Ivan Pavlovic

19x 100 cm long 3.3 cm thick bars, 2x 280 cm long 10x4 cm rods for sides and 6 iron clips with which i connect whole construction on wall. I gave 15$ for those 280 cm long rods, i found old 3.3 cm bars at iron landfill and gave a bit less then 10 $ for them, other money was for stick electrodes for welding, clips and screws i had at home.
post-12111-0-48324900-1432073251_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Kamali Downey

i bought mine for 50 bucks

Really? You're going to leave us hanging like that?   :D

Where on earth did you find stall bars for $50 bucks??

Briac Roquet

These high-powered computers of yours must not be very highly powered if I go by the prices I usually find on the internet for brand new stall bars.  :lol:

All PC master race banter aside, in France on the website of Decathlon (basically the most mainstream sports store you could find), you can get stall bars for 200€. If I browse leboncoin (something like ebay/craiglist I suppose) long enough, I can get decent sets of second hand stall bars for any price between 30 and 150€. People who just don't want their stall bars anymore will sell them at very low prices to attract potential customers. You just need to find such a website. And you need to know every way stall bars are called in your own language (if you're not Anglo-Saxon), because that will help you search them.

Edit:

For illustration, took me 3-4 minutes: 

- 20€ but kinda bad

- 30€ for dual stall bars (!) but doesn't look like anything to actually install them is sold

- 60€ to illustrate other prices, looking solid

- 25€and looks very decent !

I know these links aren't very helpful since you can't really use them, but it's just to show you can find little gems if you search hard enough.

• Upvote 1

I am wondering if we could create a GROUP BUY or GROUP BUILD contract that we outsource to some person or wood work folks in small town USA or factory in China? 

There are enough people who would spring for one if the prices were little more reasonable. I mean you can find more extensive furniture in Ikea/ Target so building these should be less expensive in terms of time & material (since not all of us have wood work / tools / DIY skills)

• Upvote 1

Mats Trane

For once I'm glad I live in Sweden! There is a reason they sometimes are called Swedish Stall bars :). They were in every single school gym that I can remember growing up. The sad thing is that they are seldom being used these days.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
Adam Bickford

Hey crashnburn, I have a small woodworking shop in Maine and I like your idea of a group buy. If you could give me some specifics on whats needed, like number and spacing of rungs maybe I can put something together!

• 1 month later...

Hey crashnburn, I have a small woodworking shop in Maine and I like your idea of a group buy. If you could give me some specifics on whats needed, like number and spacing of rungs maybe I can put something together!

Cory, Coach - Would be okay if a bunch of members wanted to do a Group buy to get a better price? It might be a good alternative to the 2 extreme ends - DIY for those who have the handy skills/ equipment v/s Buying Stall Bars at Retail price. 

Thoughts?