Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BANG FOR BUCK

Alex Chaney

Alex Chaney

"In fact, I will go as far as to say that a gymnast's ultimate potential can often be demonstrated by two things; his inherent sprint speed and his proficiency at press handstand variations. I have never trained a champion gymnast who was not also quite proficient at press handstands."

This is a freaking awesome quote by Coach! It gives perspective on what should be a gymnast or one who wants to train like a gymnast's priorities. Can we expand on why sprinting speed and press handstand variations are so crucial and their carryover to other gymnastic skills?

Alexander Egebak

My guess is that sprinting speed is a result of a higher-than-normal fast twitch fiber composition in the muscles which is very applicable in gymnastics.

Press HS is "just" ultimate all-round strength coupled with intense skill training which is what gymnastics are all about, essentially.

Jon Douglas

This quote does not state that you should be training only sprints and press handstands, please do remember. It points out trends in inborn talent which Coach has found predict gymnastics success :)

I think it was Alessandro who mentioned that he found a strong predictor for high level tumbling potential in backwards sprints.

• Upvote 3

Deins Drengers

This quote does not state that you should be training only sprints and press handstands, please do remember. It points out trends in inborn talent which Coach has found predict gymnastics success :)

I think it was Alessandro who mentioned that he found a strong predictor for high level tumbling potential in backwards sprints.

Pls more examples. This is interesting ! Other sports example may do aswell :)

Jon Douglas

It was definitely Alex who pointed out that the form that 'talent' took in his basic kids was that they were the ones who took the same basic strength work as most of us are doing and turned it into far and away more impressive power output due to.... well, physical, nervous, and plain wtf factors. Coach has noted a couple of times a similiar effect; trainees that just seem to explode under the same basics, reps, drills, etc, developing ability far in excess of others. Same training. Different effect.

I have seen similar things in students of mine, but I haven't had anywhere near the amout or depth of experience Coach has had. Perhaps he'll chime in.

• Upvote 1