Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Think twice before getting knee surgery.

Mark Collins

Chris Garay

Fascinating Mark, thanks for posting!

I have read about a similar issue regarding slap tears vs. other potential shoulder surgeries as well: http://www.kfxmedical.com/pdfs/24Synder,%20S.pdf It seems like, especially for cases of gradual overuse, it is best to utilize as many non-surgical interventions first before going under the knife. I am currently in the midst of trying to rehab an MRI-diagnosed slap tear using prolotherapy, reduced training intensity, and various supplemental / nutritional interventions. So far, so good, but these types of things are long processes that require patience and consistency.

Best,

Chris

• Upvote 1

Mikkel Ravn

I know both sides of this tale. I'm so happy I didn't get knee surgery, because flat foot running and SLS progressions have fixed 95% of my bad right knee, and it's still improving. On the other hand, I'm also very satisfied that I did get reconstructive surgery on my left shoulder following a fall accident. Otherwise I would have spontaneous dislocations every two-three months.

Mark Collins

Interesting article on SLAP repairs. Clinically I find patients that are suitable for surgery are those that are not responding to conservative therapy. It is usually cases like Ravn where symptoms aggravate quickly or dislocations occur for seemingly no reason that surgery works well for.