Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pull ups - left shoulder/scapula problem

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

Hello guys!

When I do pull ups with hands one hand away from shoulder width my left shoulder/scapula gives up after 3 reps. The problem lies during the initial pull from a complete dead hang, after that, the execution of a pull up is easy.

How do I work on this? Scapular shrugs from a complete dead hang?

I have been doing all kinds of rows and I have gotten very good at it, but the problem with pull up still exist.

Doing chin ups is very easy, even from the initial pull from a dead hang (shoulders tucked up to the ears).

Farid Mirkhani

With active hang, do you mean depressing my shoulders?

I don't really understand what you mean with arch hangs...

• 2 months later...

@Hollow man

I believe it is something like this (youtube video): 

Just like the video states, you ideally want to retract your scapulae and arch your entire spine, while pulling your shoulders down. The video also importantly points out, that this somewhat similar to a front lever, BUT you want to arch your back, with your legs behind you and not in front. This is what Gillham meant by arching hang. As for active hang, you start on a dead hang and retract your scapulae together, trying to have them touch each other. The difference between the active hang and the arch hang is that, in the arch hang, well, your arching (I am not an expert, just a person who had a similar problem like you and found videos that helped me, hoping it will do the same for you).

I think this might be an intermediate to advanced movement, but this has really helped me with my scapulae, if not, made them a little stronger. I don't know if this helps, since this post was posted back in May, and it's now July, but I hope it does and your left scapula is better now! Please let me know if you've seen any progress and what you think about the video :)